Wednesday, April 17, 2024

New Toys

Emmy got some socializing with humans Tuesday.  A walker asked could she meet my puppy, when we were practicing with the leash.  Then when we were out playing fetch, the neighbor lady who is Frank the Springer Spaniel's hu-mom asked if this was a good time to meet the puppy.

She brought presents, little squeaky toys that are good for those pups with a soft mouth.  Susan (I think that's her name) has had labs in the past, and knows they have a soft mouth.  She swears that this toy is Frank's favorite, and he can use them for months and months, has never torn one!  I told her I'll let her know how it goes.  Ember has those sharp puppy teeth still.  

Miss Emmy fell in love with the googly eyed round things right away.  They squeak if she steps on them, they roll away and invite chasing, and they squeak when the puppy bites them, too.

They are also a great help to me, because I can monitor that she's playing with an approved toy by the sound alone!

A puddle on the sidewalk was an item of interest, too.  Everything is interesting when you're new on the planet!

A long puppy nap Tuesday afternoon ended with an early supper.  Her meals today came in the 5 a.m. hour, the 11 a.m. hour, and the 4 p.m. hour.  I am starting to be sensitive to signals that she's hungry and making adjustments for it.

Sometimes she loses interest before the whole meal has been consumed, so I put it up for a "play break", then when she appears ready to resume, we take it up again.  Since I'm feeding her by hand, her meals are also training time.  Puppy attention span is a thing.

Wednesday morning I had a dental appointment, so I had to juggle puppy schedule a bit to allow me prep and drive time for that.  To think, once upon a time, I had a complete family, job, etc., and this sort of thing was going on daily.  It makes me very aware of how much my spouse contributed to pet care!

After I got home from the dental cleaning, Ember of course had some outdoor playtime, and she was a bit "teethy" so I calculated how long it had been for her since breakfast, and decided on an early lunch, too.  We had several shortish outdoor play times, a bit of chill time in the "safe space" while mom cooked her own VERY late breakfast (I only had a banana and coffee before the dentist).

Ember has apparently made an executive decision that water bowls on the deck can be upended to cause a flood under the deck.  She then dragged the water bowl inside, draining all the way, and got in trouble, stealing the paper towel mom was trying to "mop up" with.  And I just vacuumed that carpet she's dumped water and mud on... 

But the big trouble she got in today was going after the electrical cord to the TV.  She's been scolded about this before, but Mom really does not want a fried puppy!  So Ember got herself into a time-out situation while mommy finished the mopping up of the water spill.  Don't worry, she'll be let out in time for maybe some leash practice with Auntie Alicia.

Sigh. What is it someone said, "Good thing they're cute!"  She is that, and her mommy loves her oh, so much... one falls in love with a young thing so easily, and one forgives them their learning curves.

Life is good!  Life with puppies is better.  Life full of Spark and purpose is the very best!

Spark on!

8 comments:

  1. Typical baby. "I'll play with the dishes and paper towels".
    How is her sibling? We don't hear much about poor kitty.
    Wishing all a pleasant evening. πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸ˜ΈπŸΆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prisoner came in this morning while Ember was in her crate, for not just his breakfast, but also for human attention, purrs and pets. He is navigating the "relationship" with the puppy, being cautious. Just doesn't want to deal with Ember's enthusiasm!

      But he's still my precious kitty, and he knows it, thankfully.

      Delete
  2. Maybe I’m too hard-core & crotchety, but in my book, large-breed puppies only get fed twice a day. You don’t want her to put on too much body fat - that’s already a “thing” with some Labrador bloodlines which you wouldn’t want to fight her whole life!
    And slotting her into a 12-hr schedule should improve her attention upon eating when it’s mealtime.
    (Val - the cruel ol’ veterinarian ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the soft-hearted puppy mom needs to hear from a "cruel ol' veterinarian"! I will experiment... I'd been basing it on the nipping, observing that she's more obedient / attentive / trainable when she's fed. I'm measuring out the food, whether it's delivered as two or three meals!

      I mean, after all, who knows better than a vet?

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh . . . just like children . . . sometimes it's just good that they are so cute cuz they're so mischevious!

    hugs
    barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curious, and need to learn the rules, for sure.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like fun...sorta. I must be getting old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorta? LOL! An old photo of you, me, and Kevin in Boston in 2019 popped up today... memories!

      Delete

Happy _____ Day!

  It's Rabbit Day (1st of every month)! And May Day, when we used to deliver May baskets to friends, ring the bell, and run away! May Da...