Thursday, April 4, 2024

Getting used to routine

 

Little Ember is making the kind of progress one hopes for, but does not count on.  Patience is required as we make our little "oopsies" while we learn.

The shots on Wednesday did slow her down a bit, and she slept a lot of the daylight away.  Her Auntie Alicia came over as Wednesday is our sister walk day.  However, we did not go on a sister walk, we had a sister get to know the new puppy time.

Ember was not particularly hungry but we did show off a few of her toy play things.  

She's good about no teeth when she takes the hand offered treats (just her kibble for now), but she loves to go after shoes and pants legs!

And furniture and slip covers.  We have discovered that some handles on drawers have pulls that can make noise.  Automatic "reward", huh?

But, again, patience and consistency with the "ah-ah" and "yes" for things that one cannot and CAN chew, respectively.  Because of that need for consistency, there is a need for constant supervision, because puppies don't have long term memory about what they did before if you want to correct it.

I am happy to report that she's settling in the "safe space" much more quickly and seems resigned to the fact that this is going to happen, so we'll go with it.  Mom's such a "meanie", right?  Mom tells her, "you need to be safe", closes the latch anyway and then goes about her business.

Ember is in her safe space and napping now.  She took her Simparicatrio (flea, tick, heartworm) medicine this morning.  It's a chewable, and I just offered it in my hand, just as I would her training treats.  She had been chewing on a chew stick, and after she crunched up her tablet, I gave her the chew stick back.  Gee, I thought, that was easy... and then the old person in me heard my father's voice about just about any good thing:  "that can change".


With Auntie Alicia on Wednesday.  Napping behind a safe leg... is there a pattern here?  Behind mom's leg at the vet, behind Auntie's leg while we're sleepy.

Ember became so bold on Thursday morning as to issue her first bark at The Prisoner.  But the adaptation continues.

We are like many canines, always ready to check the perimeter of both back and front yard.  And she's showing signs of potentially being a digger, going after the roots of volunteer trees that have been cut down and left stumps.  One of her favorite spots to watch the world from is the stump of the smoke tree in the front yard.


Looking at my poor scarred hands where the milk teeth had nicked in play... I'm praying that we learn how not to make mom go "Ouch!"  Sooner, rather than later!  Mom has resorted to the use of hand cream.  I have never been a fan of creams and lotions on the skin.  Don't care for the texture.  But there are exceptions!

That's about enough for today from "the puppy report".  Life is good.  It's all about progress, not perfection.  I'm still grinning.  Let's all keep Sparking!

12 comments:

  1. Loving your puppy reports…Ember is so smart and such a willing learner! The Prisoner and Ember in the same photo= progress! Carry on pup-mama, you’re doing a fine job! Those baby teeth are awful, aren’t they! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sharp, that's for sure. I found a video on five mistakes we make that encourage biting, and I found a couple that I can apply right away. I was encouraging more by how I was playing with her, and I wasn't correcting properly when she goes after my shoes or pant leg. Most of dog training is people training!

      Hope you have a good today!

      Delete
  2. Awwww, that’s nice that Auntie Alicia got to know Ember. That picture is absolutely sweet of her sitting there on the grass. She’s slowly learning the ropes. Good girl! And SHE’S teaching you the ropes. LOL

    Ohhh, that first bark . . . a milestone.

    Ohhhhhhhh ,those milk teeth are sharp as razors! OUCH indeed.

    Sounds like all is good on day #4!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a process... getting to know a new critter, and integrating a household. I noticed she seems to pay more attention to pickup trucks of all the vehicles passing by on the street, so I asked the breeder if someone in her prior life had one... she said no, a lot of trucks pass by on their country road, even Semi's, but that's in back, not in front of their place. Who knows but we make up these stories in our heads!

      Just now, she's curled at my feet, under the dining room table that was my grandmother's. Sleeping. She, by the way, is getting more sleep than I am. But it's worth it.

      Delete
  3. I wonder: is behind the leg is her safe spot from the world, or, is she keeping the leg's owner safe from the world? Poor kitty is still "sitting on the fence" with the decision about the pup. Eventually, poor kitty may respond to that bark with a hiss and a swat at her nose. As a kid, I remember that our Collie was much larger that Tiger the cat. Tiger held his own and the dog soon learned she had to share the domain.

    The daily updates are fun and it's a treat that you share them with us.
    πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸ˜ΈπŸΆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about that, but it could be a dog protecting its human might set up an "ambush" like that. Prisoner has outlasted EVERY Carl visit in their mutual lifetimes. But I'm hopeful, ever hopeful!

      Today we discovered the tendency to be a digger, and observed even more retriever instincts as we played with a tennis ball in the backyard. Puppy is getting more sleep than I am, but I'll live.

      Delete
    2. No doubt they will reach a truce. Please don't take offense at my "poor kitty" comments. They are made in jest. πŸ€—

      Delete
    3. It's OK, poor kitty can take care of himself, I just wish he trusted more. Friday was the first day Prisoner hissed at Ember, and raised a clawed paw "toward" her. But so far no actual blows (bites, scratches) have taken place in either direction.

      The detente between them is working itself out, one small step at a time.

      Delete
  4. Just loving the puppy reports! Really keeping you busy and on your toes. Enjoy and have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Thing about little ones is that it's busy as anything and then suddenly it's not. The challenges of toddler, then adolescent go by quickly with a puppy.

      Today I had put the kitty food on the floor, because he seemed to want that, promising myself I'd remember to put it up before letting the puppy out of the crate, and then, of course, forgot and had to whisk them away from her curious nose.

      Wishing you and yours a pleasant weekend, too.

      Delete
  5. I’m sporting a tiny set of scratches, courtesy of Snoop Ratt’s disinclination to wear his tiny harness (no I didn’t get any photos although it was quite the struggle - I finally gave up & gifted it to my girl Kristy’s son for the bearded dragon Z & I gave him)
    Yep, I’m getting fragile lil’-ol’-lady skin but fortunately bone density seems to be holding up 🀞

    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the "quite the struggle" moments preclude getting photos, and that's OK, you know you've been through it! Yeah, thin skin and puncture wounds!

      Delete

Going with the flow

  In the corner of the yard, during Ember's "last call" backyard time on Thursday, The Prisoner crouches on the corner of the ...