Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Shhhh! She's finally sleeping!

 

Most of the photos I have taken of Ember are sleeping or resting, because of course when she's awake I have to be constantly alert to what she's doing, or interacting with her.  

Tuesday morning, she finally quieted down in her crate after having been put there so I could go start a load of laundry.  We survived night #2, and the night-time schedule is starting to shape up.  We put her away (in her safe space) after 1) her supper, 2) play and 3) trip outside to take care of biology.  Then I have the time/space to get me ready for bed myself.  Later I come downstairs to let the cat in and do my eyedrops.  Ember wakes up so we go outside again, and I move the crate upstairs to my bedroom.  We have a little lovey-dovey play time and work at regaining our puppy calm, then into the "safe space" again, cover it up, and put on something soothing on the TV.  

There's a middle of the night bathroom break around midnight, and then we get up at my normal time.  My own morning routine has changed to allow for her outside trips and some play time and feeding HER breakfast (we're still hand feeding and mixing in little lessons), but at this point, we're putting her away for me to take a shower after that first morning potty break, before breakfast.

The first meeting of Kitty and Puppy:  the photos say it all.

Ember was very calm.  She'd never come face to face with a cat.

Meanwhile, The Prisoner had met multiple dogs, and even though I've told him they both LIVE here now and will have to get along, was being cautious.  But because Ember is so chill, Prisoner hasn't gone on total strike.  He comes in at night, and today he consented to eat, but only on the deck.



It rained lightly this morning.  Ember did not seem to think the wet and chill was her best friend.  Perhaps she and Carl will chat about that someday, as Carl is definitely not fond of water falling from the sky.

On Tuesday I did put her away while I did laundry, and while I took a short shopping trip to get her a "baby" strength Kong (apparently, they have a special strength to not damage the milk teeth).  Anyway, I found it, and then stopped at the grocery to pick up the Smucker's Natural peanut butter to act as the sealant for it.

Ember has been a superstar today, and it's worn her out... we've had some deep naps outside the crate while I've been able to keep a sharp eye on her.  The crate, by end of the day, she was treating like a toybox and snack dish.  She "met" Frank, an adult dog who happened to be walking by when I had her out to see if she needed it.  He was curious about her, never having met a puppy before, but Ember took one look at him and decided the better part of valor was to scurry back up the stairs to the front door and observe from there.

It's OK, I told her, it's wise to take your time with new things.

Wednesday morning

I was interrupted last night as I was trying to wrap this up... by, of course, puppy needs.  Electric cords and wastebaskets are the current things we're working on not messing with.  Patience, and consistency, right?

It's morning, and we have a vet appointment today.  We shall see how transport works out!

Have a great today, for Life is Good!  Letting Ember re-light Spark.






12 comments:

  1. Progress not perfection…each day has multiple learning opportunities to address and it sounds like you are managing quite well as puppy-mama! The pic of Prisoner says it all, doesn’t it?! Poised to flee and assessing the intruder from a non-reachable perch! He’ll figure it out….
    Hope the vet trip goes well! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... typing this after getting home from the vet. I perceive that I have a dog that is going to assess situations... hid behind my leg at the vet's office, but warmed up at the end.

      The cat and dog tale will continue, I'm sure.

      Delete
  2. Patience and time: plenty of both are needed to settle into a comfortable routine. Apparently, poor kitty is sitting on the fence (literally) about his acceptance to the family's new addition. Wishing you success with the trip to the vet. Tomorrow's post? πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸΆπŸ˜Έ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prisoner is far more open to this puppy than he was to any prior dog to whom he's been introduced, but if the pup makes any noise at all, or gesture, he's ready to flee. This morning he accepted his breakfast in the laundry room.

      Ember was a shy little thing at the vet's office, but we got her second round of shots... 3 more visits, 3 weeks apart apiece before we're done, and they sent me home with a sample of Simparica trio, that does fleas, ticks and heartworm treatment in a single pill.

      We came home and she whined all the way, but I suspect it was because I didn't let her out to pee before we got into the crate to go home. When we got home, made that priority #1 and she did what she needed to do, then we went into the backyard, and she completed the task. Yay!

      Delete
  3. Awwww, sounds like Ember and you are doing well. HOPE that the vet visit goes well for her. Always scary for the pups to be poked and prodded, but . . . have to keep 'em healthy!

    Thanks for the pictures@! Eber looks like a little fur angel sleeping and the Prisoner, well, looks like he's doing the best he can with the new family member!

    Hang in there.

    hugs,
    barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vet visit went OK, but she was a shy little one, hiding behind my leg to be sheltered. We had already played games and been outside before we went, so she didn't even pee on the vet's floor (side stepped where some other dog had done so on the way out).

      Prisoner is getting bolder about coming up to the door and demanding his food, so we navigated the leashed puppy and the unleashed cat interaction and got the food dish out onto the deck without the puppy eating cat food (would not be good for her).

      Adventures, adventures, and a leap of faith! We'll do fine!

      Delete
  4. It seems like Prisoner is doing pretty well in getting used to Ember ... it's really early days so eating on the deck and coming in at night are huge. If there are no mishaps, they may happily share space at some point.

    My folks had two dogs and two cats; one of the dogs died, and the remaining one actually became very friendly to the cat, needing the companionship. Many times my mom would have the cat and the dog on her lap at one time. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm most heartened by the fact that The Prisoner lets me pet him on the deck rail while I have Ember on her "house line" which I pretty much use as a leash outside on the deck.

      The puppy sees me treat the cat gently, hopefully that's a lesson learned for her, too. I tell The Prisoner that "you're safe, she's in her crate" but he's still not a fan when she makes noise. Baby steps, and I'm hopeful.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! And I'm glad to have a "show" to offer up!

      Delete
  6. congrats Barb! She is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. She is a ton of work and we have many lessons ahead of us... but ... puppy love!❤️

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...