Saturday, April 27, 2024

Saturday morning naughty puppy

 

Don't know if it's visible to anyone else, but this is my outdoor unit of the central air... can you see where the puppy tore at the rubber and tape?  Copper conduit pipe is showing.  So I had to reach back in there, grab her by the scruff of the neck and pull her away.  I wonder if anyone could install perhaps a chain link barrier for all the places that enter the house?  Around the AC unit?  Or will she learn before she gets fried or disables something vital to my home?

So, after that episode, and making her spit out the rubber stuff, she is in her den until Mommy recovers.  Will I survive to her adulthood, I wonder?

Meanwhile, basking in his status as the best-behaved animal in the house (including Mommy), is The Prisoner.  

Pretty weather this Saturday morning.  Ember is supposed to go meet cousin Carl in his yard for playtime at noon.  I am picking times to avoid traffic around Memorial Stadium which is on my route from my house to my son's place.  The Spring Red/White football game kicks off at 11 a.m., and another round of severe weather is due through here about 3 p.m.

Addendum, post visit to Carl's yard

I loaded Ember into her "den" in the back of the car, and messaged my son we were ready to start.  He messaged back about the Spring Game, and I told him I already thought about that.  But then I was delayed for a while because Ember while going through the garage had used her sharp puppy teeth on the HUGE bag of her puppy food, tearing a hole in it.  I had to schlep that big bag into the house, pour about half of it into the puppy food safe, and tape up the hole for later use.  Then I messaged the son that we were only just leaving the garage now (20 minutes later) and coming the long way around because of the football game.

We arrived a little after noon, and Carl was most generous about sharing his yard for playtime.  He was fine with Ember sharing his water dish, too.  He didn't even bat an eye when the puppy stole some of his most recent meal, remaining in his dish.  He did, however, insist that HE was still his daddy's puppy!  


Despite the obvious size difference, they raced and tumbled around the yard, shared attention between the two humans.  Ember got a little anxious when I left the yard to go organize the car, but she was soon distracted by play.  When I came back into the yard, she ran to greet me, glad I hadn't abandoned her for keeps!

After not quite an hour of this, Carl was showing signs of being tired, as was Ember, and we called it a day.

One big revelation was that Ember gets car sick on trips longer than the few blocks to Puppy Class or to the vet.  She tossed her tummy contents both ways.  I thought of LeanJean6 and her Big Beau, who was car-sick so much when he was young.

When we got home, I wrapped my poor baby in a towel on the deck while I cleaned out the crate, then used some waterless dog shampoo to clean her up and cuddled her while apologizing for her having an upset tummy.  She fell asleep in my arms, and I tucked her back into the cleaned-up den.

And only then did I claim a shower for myself, just as the next line of thunder boomers arrived.  I understand that Carl crashed on the floor after we left as well.  And this is why we do play dates... tired puppy (or dog) is a happy one.

Life is good.  Keep on Sparking!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my! NAUGHTY Ember! I imagine it took you a bit to recover. HOPE she learns. Miss Lilly was a chewer til all her adult teeth came in. And then she tears a hole in her puppy chow! Oh my. She was in a mood today!

    Awwwwww, so sorry to hear that she gets car sick. Poooooor baby and poor Mommy. Glad things got cleaned up and she recovered. And yes, a tired puppy is a happy one! Even when they get out of puppyhood!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    PS stay safe if you get more storms! We’re getting storms here. . . Saturday evening. Not bad . . . yet. Very windy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always hard when you see such destruction on the news and you are grateful for every friend who escaped but very aware that in some ways we are very lucky... I have friends (fellow triathletes) who live in Elkhorn. Their place was OK, but two blocks away... not at all... several homes flattened. Hope you stay safe all spring storm season long!

      Ember. I asked my son how he got Carl past his "chewing through the internet cord" phase and he said just being drill sergeant until the pup got the message. So for now, that's the plan: mom sergeant!

      Delete
  2. It seems that we've always had dogs that would chew on the things they shouldn't. Eons ago, a friend told us to spray the hard object: trash cans, rubber hoses, solar walk lights, "air conditioner pipes" with straight ammonia. It was an instant deterrent. They would not even get close enough to take a nibble. Works for the wild varmints, too. Possums are/were a big problem, living in the sticks, and they keep their distance. Car sickness is a whole different issue.

    Poor kitty is picture postcard perfect! What a trooper!

    Hope your day becomes calmer. πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸΆπŸ˜Έ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the advice about ammonia! I will try it.

      Delete
  3. As long as you can be vigilant/tolerant, she'll learn to behave. It's just another way of investigating the world.
    Could you consider taking her on daily or alternate day small car trips? That may get her used to the motion. Oscar did the same.
    You may want invest in a portable CO alarm to monitor the back area of the car. Just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ideas! In fact, the once a week trip to Puppy Preschool is where I am going to start trying her out in the back seat (it didn't work out on the longer trip across town because I was concerned about distraction from safe driving).

      I was going to try it on the way home, but before I even started the engine, she was over the hump into the front seat, and I wasn't going to risk it. This morning, it's less than a mile to puppy class, and we'll try again.

      I'll see what I can find with CO alarms, could be worth whatever investment it takes.

      Delete
  4. Wondering if 'tossing' could be from what she possibly ingested when chewing the tape and rubber instead of the car motion. It's been almost 25 years since we started from the puppy stage. Our two rescued Maltipoos were 3 and 10 when they joined the household. Your Ember Alerts have reminded me of the all the work involved. You are much braver than us.

    Rolling thunderstorms, high winds and sporadic hard rain showers in progress today -- same on yesteray.

    Drill on Sarge.

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe like the old Chinese restaurant menus, part from column A, part from column B. She makes the shorter trips OK.

      You know the funny thing about "being brave" to take on a puppy, I asked my son for a second opinion before I decided. "Am I capable of doing this? (At my age)." And then in the end, I did it anyway! It is a lot of work, but when she does something like this noon, going to the front door to ask to go out, and I take her out and she immediately pulls to the grass to pee... who knew such a little thing would bring such joy?

      So you have this storm down your way, too? It comes, it breaks, it returns, here. Day 3 of scattered thunderstorms in progress.

      Onward!

      Delete
  5. With one of our dogs, long time ago, we purchased a bitter-tasting spray product which was not harmful to deter this sort of thing. Sometimes it depends on how stubborn they are, whether it stops them.

    Poor Ember, with the car-sick ... we had a dog who experienced that, and it was too bad, as our other dogs loved car-rides with Dad, and poor Bea had to stay home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Bea. We are going to try de-sensitizing by gradual exposure and hope she grows out of it. Today's short trip to Puppy Class went well.

      Delete

Work in progress

 The woodpecker situation, work in progress At this point in the process, Jeremy the handyman had removed three smallish pieces of the sidin...