Monday, July 5, 2021

Day 29: Like swallowing an elephant...

 I am having to remind myself to slow down:  to consume the elephant "one bite at a time"!

Yesterday was the holiday (Independence Day, US) itself, and I had an across the street view of a family celebrating much the way we used to when I was a kid.  Adult supervision of children in training for how to safely use the fireworks!  Protective gear in use:  looks like there may be some folks who are familiar with eye protection (eye injury is one of the risks associated with fireworks "accidents").

I asked the mom of the house if it was OK that I took their photos and would be adding them to my blog, because... children, you know!

She was fine with it.  Here's dad overriding son's thought of where to place a rocket for launch.  Dad then shouted for the watching crowd to "look alive" because he did not fully trust that rocket!

Back when I was a kid, and we had a limited amount of fireworks budget, we used to schedule our use of things like smoke balls or lady fingers, to make them last... because the major light the sky stuff couldn't be used until after dark, and we needed to fill a lot of boring sunlight hours.

I noticed this family doing something similar... the bangs and pops were not continuous, but would happen in little "sessions".

Something else we used to do was start the show before it got fully dark, especially for the kids who were too young to stay up for the whole thing.  I don't know about YOUR kids, but some of the littler ones don't want to miss out, but when their "off" switch is ready to trip, it trips.  So you do a few fireworks to adjust the eyes to the brightness contrast.

As you can see, many generations of on-lookers are enjoying the show.  I'm taking the photos from my lawn chair across the street on my corner.



I joke that I am turning into my mother, because I used to be one of the pyromaniacs in the family, and now... I'm inside protecting my eyes (eyedrops in for the night) and my lungs from the smoke!  

But the fireworks continued long after I fled to safety!  Here's one of the earlier ones that I took a quick snap of through the bay window.  Then I pulled the drapes and told myself firmly that I had "enough" and could go to bed!



 
Before I did that, though, I peeked down the other way, and saw other family groups working on their "adjust the eyes" phases, too.  Here the kids are using what has replaced the Sparklers we used to know as kids.  These "Morning glories" as we used to call them are not as dangerous, as they are not based on wires, but instead have a wooden "handle".  Remember how we used to write our names in the air?  It was all part of that adjustment of the eyes for seeing the brightness.  


I looked up in the sky to find the pops of those who were truly shooting off aerial shells before full dark.








It sounded like a thunderstorm later as I was falling asleep, and I could see in the trash this morning how "big" those cannons were that shoot the high ones.  Mortars, they are, like weapons of war, but for entertainment!

As you can see from the debris photo, I was up early today, doing the same thing I was yesterday, checking out the neighborhood and determining where those booms came from.  I won't post ALL of the photos (it would be overkill).




But I will share this one, influenced by a kind child, perhaps, who put out a "Doggie watering station" by his or her mailbox... I couldn't resist snapping its photo as I came by!









Oh, and I will also share something that intrigued me, a block away.  Four-way volley-ball!  Kind of like "four square" but up in the air!


And now, we should be DONE with the pops and booms for the year!  

Time to pull ourselves back into routines!  

Here's hoping that it won't be too big a crash after the holiday excitement, and we'll all just remember to breathe, nurture ourselves and be kind to ourselves as well as others... on this one and only Monday, July 5, 2021 we'll ever get.  For LIFE is good, and better when we slow down and LIVE it!
💘💥😍🙏🙋

26 comments:

  1. Be kind to ourselves as well as others - that’s the ticket!
    Hugs and love,
    Ace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! Nice memories, too.

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sparklers at the maternal grandparents' 50-acre farm were the only fireworks we had as children in the 1950's. Lot of fond memories.
    ~PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'll bet you had a bucket of watch to drop those hot wires into... sizzle, they did!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful blog thanks great to see the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, indeed. As a child of the 50’s I do remember sparklers fondly. The sparks were a bit frightening as the flashed towards my hand but the excitement of being outside after dark and playing with fire made it so exciting.

    Our community fireworks had a delayed start and I found myself out of my chair scanning the horizon excitedly hunting for them. Also they began in their usual spot about 15 min. Later. The kid in us is always excited.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like everyone had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect they did. And still did a good job cleaning up next day!

      Delete
  7. That looks a lot like our neighborhood. I got to watch a full-on display done by some local pyromaniacs. I was more fascinated by the drone they sent up at explosion height. I'd love to see those photos!
    The dog drink station is a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proof that suburbs look the same everywhere? I'll bet those drone photos are astounding!

      Delete
  8. I thought I commented here. Probably over on Spark.
    You have a nice place to live. Nice neighbors make that possible.
    We had fireworks from dozens of docks late into the night. The sound really carries over the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet it was loud, echoing off the water like that.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the memories of childhood. ;-)

    Speded2 on Spark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't take much to trigger those childhood memories, does it?

      Delete
  10. Your neighborhood looks really nice! Our fireworks lasted way to long for mw! But that's okay. The puppy finally settled dow. If I had been her I know my throat would have been sore for barking so much! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Note I was in bed and sleeping while they were still going on. LOL!

      Delete
  11. 4th fireworks appear to be a MUCH bigger deal than Canada Day pyrotechnics!! The four way volleyball looks like a good time suitable for a smaller space!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all depends on WHERE in the US you live. I grew up in Nebraska, where fireworks were considered a "right". When we lived in upstate NY, they were mainly illegal... you could shoot off "party poppers" and that was about it! And everywhere in between.

      There's a difference between the professional shows and setting off your own. Our dad was a big "safety first" kind of pyromaniac and we had the pails of water filled before the first match was allowed to be lit! It is a dangerous thing, and people do get hurt... every year. Usually by doing something stupid. Which is why, if you care about your kids... you teach them!

      I was intrigued by the volleyball game... two of the players were the brothers who made/make spending cash by mowing my lawn.

      Delete
  12. Love the doggie drink and the 4-way volleyball! So clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amused enough by both to take their pictures... 😂

      Delete

Sunday adventures with kitty and puppy

The morning started well.  Mommy fed the cat first, before even getting the puppy out to "take care of business".  I think this wa...