Sunday, July 11, 2021

Day 35: Today's challenge

 

Every day has its own unique challenges.  Today's for me, was getting my walk in before "the big Space Travel show".  😁

Yes, I am a bit of a space geek.  I am of the generation that looked up in the sky to see if we could spot Sputnik or Echo.  Remember Echo, fellow seniors?  We had televisions rolled into our classrooms to watch the Mercury launches.

As older folk, we might have (shifts eyes) paid good money multiple times to watch "The Right Stuff" and "Apollo 13" when they hit the big screens.  So today was a BIG DEAL for many of us!  Private company space flight, the commercialization of space.

Those of us who grew up reading Heinlein or Asimov, or Clarke, or LeGuin... yes... we may see this as the next step toward building the off world colonies we read about!  And yes, billionaires are the ones going, but it is research, it is figuring out the practicality and the engineering to have a life boat.  What if all our efforts to "save the planet" don't pan out... where will we go, and how will we get there?  It is the stuff of dreams.

But for a little girl who didn't figure she'd EVER live into a century that started with "20", it's pretty awesome.

Contrast that with the photo I put here.  Would you believe that little piece of heaven is within a mile of my house?  A neighbor has been maintaining that haven in their backyard for several decades, and it's on my walking route.  I had not previously put its photo up, but... ahhhh... peace... right here on this planet!

This turned out to be a pre-breakfast walk, and I came home to put my fresh fruit and cocoa powder enhanced oats together and savor them while watching the launch.

Don't the strawberries just make your mouth water?

It's a Sunday morning, and I'm looking ahead to a very people-y week.  The trainer will be back, I have a doctor visit between the two trainer sessions, and they are coming to clean my furnace and dryer vents on Friday, and when they get done, I'm booked for another sunset paddle!  

Consequently I shall make the rest of today and probably tomorrow, too, quiet time!

Here's hoping all my Spark buds are finding new homes and settling into them.  This morning I got "invited" over to MyFitnessPal, so I'm checking it out.  If you are already there and want to let me know, send me a friend invite.  Unsurprisingly, I am there as "onekidsmom".  😊😊

Now let's all get out and live the best Sunday, July 11, 2021 we can manage, wherever we sit in the journey to healthy and fit!  Because it's the only one we'll ever get, and LIFE is good!✨ Spark on!

29 comments:

  1. Your neighbors have a beautiful backyard oasis!

    A high school friend of my sister was one of the first female engineers at NASA in Houston and treated us in the mid-1970's to a visit behind-the-scenes where I got to sit in the simulated space capsule with an engineer explaining it to me. I am a very quiet person by nature and was overwhelmed with the technical details so answered 'no' when asked if I had any questions. "My lack of enthusiasm" offended the engineer who spent his time with me -- oops!

    A book "The Astronaut Wives Club" by Lilly Koppel was interesting to me.

    ~PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That backyard oasis just draws one in, yet I've never seen anyone out enjoying it!

      What a great experience with your sister's friend. Too bad the "engineer" didn't interpret your "lack of enthusiasm" better. You are not the only person who would answer that way while still processing the overwhelming experience!

      Delete
  2. wow i like you blog and those oats look so good Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw the pix on RunKeeper and knew I would find the explanation here 😁
    I didn’t get out before the heat today, but it’s the hoal for tomorrow, fir sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomorrow is a fresh new Monday! And tomorrow is going to be hotter here than today, so for sure the goal for me, too!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely little piece of heaven to look forward to on your daily walk!! As you can see, I'm able to post comments today. Not sure what I did differently - still in the learning curve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of us are in that learning curve... and some of these "new to us" platforms have so many options to learn about! But we are survivors... and we SHALL figure it all out. I have confidence in us!

      Delete
  5. Nooo! 😱

    I just lost a whole long comment about the little garden and my pole beans trellis awning and my crush on Neil Armstrong at 3.5, and my childhood career aspirations, and my shelf of space films from October Sky to Hidden Figures...

    And right before I tapped, “publish,” I asked myself, “maybe I should copy this first, in case it gets list?”

    “Nah,” my brain answered. ...and POOF! 😕

    Not making that mistake this time.
    “Select All”
    “Copy”
    “Publish”

    I’m a slow learner, apparently, because this is not the first time! 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad about the vanishing post, but that used to happen sometimes on Spark, too! Bet you wrote it better the second time! I usually do, it's like having drafted and edited in your head!

      Delete
    2. I wrote a Cliff’s Notes outline the second time. And OMIGOSH yes I had that problem so often in SP I used to compose in a separate app! I just got overconfident over here. 😬

      From now on, saving before hitting publish. I learn slowly, but I do learn! 😉

      Delete
    3. AHA. I think the problem may have something to do with the choice of browser. Chrome on my iPhone is not giving me glitches the way Safari does...

      Makes sense, given that both Blogger & Chrome are Google products!

      I’m mentioning this because I know you’ve been helping others troubleshoot commenting. 🙂

      Delete
  6. I often wonder at people who have heaven right outside their doors and yet they do not enjoy it. I see it so often on the coast where I live. Ocean or harbor front property, wide porches, beautifully landscaped yards, and no one is every out enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have something to do with what time I walk. Or maybe they're there and I just don't see them because they're tucked around the corner of a path.

      Delete
  7. Hah, I am enough older than you that Echo did not catch me...I must've been in college at the time, or maybe even married with a wee one! But I was watching the first moon landing as a junior in high school, I think! I do occasionally check out the "new" space race by the privateers!

    That backyard is gorgeous!! What a beauty! Yep, I'd love it!! Hope your week is smooth sailing despite the people-ing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we must be contemporaries. I was a sophomore I think when the moon landing took place. 69 perhaps? But echo was when I was in about first grade. It was the US answer to Sputnik.

      Delete
  8. The blueberries make my mouth water!
    Good idea to soak up the quiet before heavy peopling. I think I have been intuitively doing that this weekend. My calendar is way too full this month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eagerly watched the moon landing...waiting for the aliens to walk into view. Now I know, they are too intelligent to make themselves known to the people who inhabit Earth. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now if nobody is using your neighbour's backyard oasis (so beautiful) do you suppose you should just sit down and put your feet up for a spell? Enjoyed your enthusiasm about the new space ventures . . . the same spirit which is seeing you launching the life boats from SP!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about that (borrowing the oasis)... but been put off by the huge trucks/SUV's in the driveway attached to the house... not sure they would welcome me, from "the big house". LOL.

      Delete
  11. The commercial flight had one thing that really impressed me was that it didn't leave any garbage behind. First thing I noticed when the Mars rover landed was the ship that got it there was left to sit. We tend to leave our junk wherever we go. This is great progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, this particular flight just went up and back down again, it didn't land on another planet, where it would be harder to collect the trash and lift off with it!

      Still, Sir Richard Branson is a huge fan of taking care of planet earth, too. And wasn't it great to see his enthusiasm at age 70? Like a kid, all over again!

      Delete
  12. Amazing times we live in, and that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh ... haven on earth ... if we just keep our eyes open.

    I had YOUR chocolate steel cut oats this morning. YUMMMMMMMMM
    💛💛💛

    ReplyDelete

Sunday adventures with kitty and puppy

The morning started well.  Mommy fed the cat first, before even getting the puppy out to "take care of business".  I think this wa...