Thursday, July 15, 2021

Survey Blog: I figured out how to get a "Follow" button to show up... BUT!

 The thing is, if I add the "Followers" gadget to my blog it will show up like this:  

Notice that all the people who publically follow such a blog show up, with their Blogger profile photo, if they have one.  If YOU are not a follower, the "Unfollow" button there will be a "Follow" button.  It becomes very easy then to add a blogger to your reading list, just by clicking that button.

HOWEVER, after you do, your Blogger profile photo shows up in the array of followers.

I have resisted adding this gadget due to concerns that some people might want to "follow" without having their photos show up on the blog!  So... I haven't done it.

But that means that to "follow" my blog in your reading list, you need to copy the URL (blog address), and go to your own blogger menu, Reading List, "Manage" and Add to paste my blog to your reading list.

So... 22 people have so far added me to their Reading List (one of them shows up 3 time, and then I follow my own blog, just so I can monitor when it appears in the Reading List).  My question for this Survey is mainly for those 20 people:  would you be OK if I added this "Followers" gadget, for the convenience of new people being able to follow more easily?

And people who might want to "Follow", are you OK with the complex copy/paste to follow blogs?  

Since Subscribe doesn't seem to work well for most folks... what do you all think?  I'm OK with my photo showing up on the blogs I follow, and letting people then "follow me home"... but what about my current / potential followers?  How open are you comfortable with?  Would you "unfollow" if your photo showed up as a "Follower"?

Comment with your preference.  I'm interested, and will take all preferences into account.  I may just leave it as is, and periodically post "how to follow" tips?


22 comments:

  1. In the settings for the Blogger profile it gives every user the option to publicly follow or privately follow. I don’t think anyone will show up unless they click, “publicly follow.”

    So I don’t see why displaying the “follow” widget would be an issue(?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only reason I ask is that those 20 folks might want the chance to change to "anonymous" before seeing their photo pop up.

      Delete
    2. That's a good reason! (grin)

      Just curious, do I show up on that list of 20? The reason I ask is that I have my "following" list set to public in my profile (both the list and the individual entries on that list), but there's no "following" list showing up in my profile, that I can see! LOL

      Delete
    3. Yes, in my "Stats", I can see the 23 followers (3 of which are the same name, and one of which is me). If you go to your Reading List and "manage" you can set individual blogs to follow public or anonymous. Your reading list are all the blogs you are "following".

      And yes, 4A-HEALTHY-BMI is among the names of my followers.

      Delete
    4. Thank you, that’s pretty much how I thought it worked on my end. 😉

      But I can’t see what you see, which is why I wondered if I showed up in the list of followers you see. 🙂

      Delete
    5. ...so thanks for confirming that I do show up there. 👍

      Delete
  2. Wish I had my 'stuff' from SP site that I want to save completed so this steep learning curve for the after-SP life would not raise my anxiety level so much. Oh well, oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it makes you feel any better, you do *not* show up in my Followers list, so if you are following me anonymously, we are correct that you would not appear! We'll get through this, I'm just trying to make it both easy for new folk, and comfy for those who wish privacy. If anybody doesn't WANT to appear in the list, they should follow your model.

      Delete
  3. I’m with Phoenix. Been too busy getting my SP stuff to take the time to work on Blogger and Google group threads. I reply as anonymous so shouldn’t be a problem. I use the manage option for my reading list. Everything here is Google and I use iPad so it’s a total new language for me. DS is all Google so at least I’m aware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You also do not appear in my list of public followers. So you should be cool, even if I add the "Followers" gadget.

      Delete
    2. Glad to here I’m not the one with 3.

      Delete
  4. I'm open for either option. I wonder if I'm the one with 3. It took a bit to figure out the reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Not the one with three. In fact, I don't see your "speded2" on the followers list at all. But there are some who show up as "real names"... myself, for example, in the list. So not sure if you are one of those.

      Delete
  5. I am fine with the follow button too. Might put it on mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm fine ... I'd follow you any where.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google having the hiccups? Your comment posted twice!

      Thanks, by the way!

      Delete

Sunday adventures with kitty and puppy

The morning started well.  Mommy fed the cat first, before even getting the puppy out to "take care of business".  I think this wa...