Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Day 37: It must be July, the tiger lilies are in bloom

 

Tiger lilies are a special treat, aren't they?  These are actually Asian lilies, but they have the tiger lily spots.  My great-grandmother had tiger lilies growing outside her back door.

Mumsy (as we called her in the family) was a very young great-grandmother.  She drove!  Which I understand was kind of uncommon in her generation of women?  She was divorced!  Yikes!  And remarried.

And she had a tiny brick house a block up from her town's main street.  Very little yard/growing space.  No grass, at all.  Out front, a bed full of petunias!  Out the back door, the tiger lilies.  So, in July, when they bloom, I think of Mumsy.


Anyway, out here in the center of the country (USA) we have been having wonderfully mild days for this time of year.  While the far West, and even Canada are getting broiled, we've been having good weather for walks.  I have enjoyed those walks, when the thermometer was registering in the 60's F, as I would head out the door, and barely into the 70's by the time I got home.  Ahhh... gratitude and grace!

The personal trainer had been on vacation last week, so I walked more, and did more yard work.  The cooler weather came just in time for ME.  The trainer is back now, and I have a little bit of time yet to blog before I head over for my first workout with him back.  

I went to the grocery store early.  Like many parts of the country, our local Covid-19 rates have been going up.  Again.  The average hospitalizations in July so far have been more than double the average in June.  Still not time for the fully vaccinated to panic, but based on this observation, I wore my mask and went early.  I was not the only masked, older shopper, either.  There were not many shoppers out yet at 7 a.m., and it felt good to get this chore out of the way, and have my freggies all stocked up.

Today I am thinking of my brother.  This is his Yahrzeit.  Two years ago today, we lost him.  Most Sparkers know his story.  I have his Spark success story archived over here: Kevin's Journey to the Boston Marathon

This photo was taken at mile 9 of a half marathon he was running, the last day of his life.  I can't really think of a better way to exit than doing something you love.  But I can still hear his gentle voice, self-deprecating, saying in my head, "I might have managed that race better..."

Today, I am living to honor him... and I encourage all of us to live this one and only Tuesday, July 13, 2021 we'll ever get making choices to support not just longevity, but quality of LIFE, for as Kevin would close his blogs, LIFE is good!  ✨ Keep sparking!

32 comments:

  1. (((hugs))) Thinking of Kevin.

    When loved ones leave us ... it leave a true hole in our heart. But very, very fond memories.

    We had tiger lilies back in Texas ... they ran the length of our fence. Here in the Rockies ... I don't seem to be able to grow dirt.

    Blogger/Blogspot is a TOTAL mystery so far on creating my ... landing page and posting blogs. Arrrrgh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I think of your BFF leaving so suddenly, I kind of compare it to the way Kevin left us... totally out of the blue... we did our best to cope and to rejoice that he didn't suffer, and all those things one does... but grief takes time. And the love we bore for the person who has left that hole... has to help mend it. Still aches. Still surprises us how much.

      Yesterday, I did a member search on MFP, for "MobyCarp"... and up he popped, smiling... with of course, no entries for the past two years. Stings a bit when these reminders pop up.

      Delete
  2. OK. Click on your name, above. Then click on the B in the upper left hand corner of your profile. "New blog" should be a choice on the menu (left hand side). Did you get that far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES !!! Whew. I'm sure having a brain workout today !!!!
      🤣

      Delete
  3. My sincere condolences for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to your brother. May you find comfort in the memories you made together. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do find comfort in those memories, and in the attitude of being grateful for having done things while we could... in his case that included running the Boston Marathon... 3 times... in his 60's! The events we participated in together, the fitness in our "later" years was precious!

      Delete
  4. RIP Kevin. I so agree with you on this sentiment: "I can't really think of a better way to exit than doing something you love."
    ~PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
  5. MOBYCARP’s pragmatic number-based insights about weight management were wonderful. I’m so glad he shared them with us. 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart fills every time I think of him, and I feel privileged to have known him his whole life, from baby in a basket to amazingly fit senior!

      Delete
  6. sorry for the loss of your brother

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Tiger lilies, too! We had some at my home growing up! I'd love to plant some here...So gorgeous!!

    Kevin was an amazing man! Your folks did something very right with you all!! HIs to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our folks did the same thing you're doing for your kids and grands... filled the house with love, and let us be ourselves.

      Delete
  8. You and your brother had a very special kind of love.
    Thank you for sharing.
    ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exactly. I've heard that one should assign a "guardian" of your online accounts, and your wishes on how they should be handled... do you want to "disappear"? Do you want your on-line friends to be informed of your departure? Do you want to remain as an "in memory of" page? And who has the authority to make such decisions for you once you no longer can?



    ReplyDelete
  10. It was my pleasure to meet him in Boston that year.
    I think good thoughts for your whole family today!
    Special hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A day of quiet contemplation and appreciation!

      Delete
  11. HUGS and sweet thoughts for you and your family today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for reminding us of Kevin's journey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was able to find and save his success story.

      Delete
  13. Thinking of your and your family today. You're right about leaving when you are doing something you enjoy doing. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kevin was so helpful as I transitioned to and entered maintenance. Always willing to respond to questions sent his way. Two years later, it still feels odd to not have him participating in the maintenance challenges. {{{hugs}}} to you, Barb. ~ JEANKNEE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Knowing how many others valued his presence in the world does help.

      Delete
  15. I am so sorry for your loss. I didn't know him in the SparkPeople world but after reading the blogs he wrote and the one you archived I am sorry that I didn't, he seemed like a really, really great guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a huge shock to lose him. And the weeks following his passing were a blur. He always used to say he would never make the news because he wasn't "good enough" to be an elite runner, and he wasn't a human interest story. But when he checked out... oh, what a fuss... and he couldn't stop it! Local TV news, newspaper article, and even a featured bit in Runners World online magazine! Silly man, you never knew how valued you really were... but many of us did!

      Delete
  16. Siblings can be one of our best gifts of life. Lost my sister 2 1/2 years ago. Grief will always be with us, but I saw this the other day and knew this is where I am now.

    “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.

    ReplyDelete

Sunday adventures with kitty and puppy

The morning started well.  Mommy fed the cat first, before even getting the puppy out to "take care of business".  I think this wa...