Saturday, July 17, 2021

Day 41: Time for a quiet day!

 

I am celebrating surviving a "people-y" week with a quiet day... some laundry, a walk through the neighborhood, but QUIET... no peoples.

This could be considered a dereliction of my maternal instincts?  Because 37 years ago, I had a newborn baby "rooming in" with me after having pushed him out of his womb rental.  

But our family never did make a big deal out of birthdays... and I had an online conversation with the birthday man (won't call him a boy any more!) a couple of days ago about his plans for the day, and he said "I planned to not have plans".  

How like him!  Anyway, at this point, no plans to make a big deal out of the date today... just going to recharge the batteries.

Last night's sunset paddle?  Awesome.  We covered about two miles of lake, around and back, pausing for photo ops as the spirit moved. 


At the very end, the fireworks from the opening ceremonies of the State Games were visible (and audible)... to the North.  Sorry, no photos of said fireworks.  

We were climbing out of the kayaks, then watching from shore.  

We were given smaller kayaks this time... little blue ones that I've seen kids paddling... they bobble a bit more than the slightly longer sleek ones I'd been in before, turn quicker, etc.  

Next kayak outing for my friend Geri and me is a week from today, down at the other lake.

The morning walk brought its own colorful array, because I have neighbors who put a lot of effort into their yards!




Now let's all get out there and live the Saturday, July 17, 2021 we need!  Make choices that truly feed that need, physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual!  ✨🎇💖😍✨ Spark on!


20 comments:

  1. glad you had a great time paddling great for fireworks happy birthday to your son your last pic looks like it could have come from my yard i love daylilies have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine SP meme of smiling face waving to acknowledge I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your neighbors have breathtaking curb appeal.
    Happy Birthday! to DS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, don't they? BTW, those are from three different yards!

      Delete
  4. I had read about other folks doing this for years, but until this little local company started renting kayaks on local lakes, it was beyond what I was willing to do. I am grateful for the availability!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make the kayaks sound like such a fun adventure. On every child’s birthday, I always wonder “where did that time go.” Rooming in was The Thing! back then. Did you know hospitals here provided champagne and chocolate celebrations after birth, if requested. Childbirth is an ever evolving process. Science still doesn’t know what signals labor to start when it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing that most impressed me in the birthing experience was the doctor praying with us over the new child. We didn't share the same faith, but we prayed together for that new little life.

      This morning I messaged my son the usual birthday morning message... even when he was deployed overseas I would try to send a message at the minute of his birth... today's was a "when I was your age"... you were preparing for your first year of Kindergarten.

      And yes, the fashions of the process are always changing! My mother, who gave birth to five children over 15 years would remark on the differences in child rearing advice she got with each birth. By the fifth one, she was told, "You know what to do. Take her home and raise her."

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday to your Son! Glad you had a good time paddling and the fireworks sound beautiful.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They were my "make up" fireworks, since I went to bed early on the 4th.

      Delete
  7. I survived a week with 2 extra workouts added in. Looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow morning.
    Unfortunately, I don’t see flowers and gardens as beautiful things, but more like things out to kill me (allergies)!
    Happy quiet birthday to the mythical son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy does that comment (about the allergies) speak! Last year when I was masking on even my outdoor walks, the allergies didn't bother NEARLY as much, and I started enjoying flowers again!

      Delete
  8. My boy / man born in July same year as well :)love the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice man you have raised -- and your acceptance of his planning to have NO plans is so very sensible! Wonderful that the kayak rental place is working so well for you!! Wondering if those little blue plastic ones are similar to our own "Lifetime Lotus" brand -- really just toys, but such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think if the lake were choppy I'd want one of the longer ones.

      Funny thing about the "quiet day"... son & GF ended up watching/streaming the same movie I did... a blind watch party in that neither of us knew the other was doing this!

      Delete
  10. Belated happy birthday to grown son!! Yesterday was Hills Alive here in Rapid. It's a big deal, and the internet was so busy, I couldn't flip to this site...or nearly any other! Sounds like a fantastic time in the kayak! A little more challenging maybe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of events all over these days... pent up demand?

      Delete
  11. Plan to have no plans ... love it.

    We have jammie days where we do ... nothing. I need them.
    🦋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found out yesterday that the Mythical Son bought his dog Carl a present for Son's birthday... GF posted photos yesterday of a very satisfied looking pup, playing with the new toy.

      Delete

Sunday adventures with kitty and puppy

The morning started well.  Mommy fed the cat first, before even getting the puppy out to "take care of business".  I think this wa...