Friday, July 9, 2021

Day 33: While the Cat's away...

 the mice go for longer walks?

I may have mentioned that my personal trainer is on vacation this week, having gone down to Tennessee to visit his son, DIL, and grandson.  Oh, my how quickly those children grow!  So I don't blame them for getting in that family time!

I have not been very good about replacing the workouts with on my own strength training.  Instead, I have been walking a bit further, not every day, but enough days to feel I am "building".  

It's an overcast day today, so I was out a little before 7, pre-breakfast for this morning's walk.  Since getting home, the wind has kicked up, and the cats who live here have been a little... on alert?  Well, Rubia, anyway... scampering all over the house... and in sudden bursts.  Enough to make me wonder whether there's a mouse or a bug or something triggering her hunting instincts.  However, once she was done with that game, she sprawled out on the dining room table in a "don't bother me" pose.  (p.s. It was a house fly!  And she got it!)


Meanwhile, old man Prisoner is curled up and napping while I eat my breakfast and write, down in the family room.  

Our companion animals certainly do enrich our lives.  Especially when we live lives where the highlight of the day might be changing the battery in a smoke detector, hanging the drapes, or cleaning a bathroom!


Several of us have noted that the transition to a platform other than Spark has refreshed our motivation to carry on.  There are other motivating factors in the air, too.  I became more motivated after getting my second shot of the Covid-19 vaccine, the end of March.  Two weeks after that is when I went back to the trainer.  Took a while longer before the nutrition mojo kicked in.  The bottom line, in terms of graphable weight management progress is shown here, is a shot of the past 90 days:

Left hand Scale:  top is 162.8, bottom is 150.2
Bottom scale first date is 4/16/2021, last date is today, 7/9/2021. 

Interestingly, the last "peak" high weight was a couple of days before we got the news about Spark going dark on August 17th.  I started using cronometer as my tracking tool "to test it out" on June 11th, which on the graph is about the beginning of the mostly steady downward trend.  Don't get too excited, it's about five to six pounds in a month.  Nice and slow.

The philosophy that is driving this is one I remember (and reading old blogs has reinforced) from when I first entered "maintenance" at about the weight I am now.  "I have found a way of eating that is comfortable, and a level of activity that makes me happy... now we'll just see what the body gives me."

Edited on 8/14/2021:  MamieAllie wrote about this kind of "lifestyle, living our lives" attitude in her blog August 8th.  I had linked it, but I see the link no longer works, so removed the link. I was going to start linking the blogs of other Spark refugees that speak to me.  But on August 13th, warnings started to appear that too many invalid links in your blogger entries could result in "bad things happening" to your account.  So, while I might put a link in at first and test it, this is subject to later removal, to maintain the integrity of my own blogs!  I think this is most likely to happen as we are in flux, finding our true "new blog homes".  Apologies to any who might want to read her blog!

29 comments:

  1. Great that you found a good replacement! Thanks for linking to others, too! Always a leader!!! 76 here already...gonna be warm on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I had got sloppy about tracking until this happened! And it continues to warm up down here, too... 82 at noonish.

      Delete
  2. Love Rubia’s pose! LOL Don’t bother me indeed!

    Yes, changing platforms and finding the blogging spots for my favorite bloggers has triggered a little momentum to keep using the tools.

    And Miss Lilly keeps me moving! LOL No slouching with her around!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are better at keeping us moving! Good job, Lilly!

      Delete
  3. Nice chart -- way to go. Links to blogs that speak to you are appreciated here.
    ~PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If enough of us do it, we'll build a small network! It won't be the same as Spark, but it should have the spirit of Spark! ✨🙏

      Delete
  4. I sure do love a good chart. (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Link away! Your cats are very cute. We have had cats in the past and have enjoyed them. After the last one passed we decided maybe after we were done traveling we would bite the bullet and get another one. I think an older one that likes to lap sit. I enjoyed your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adopting an older cat can be a very rewarding experience... I adopted one whose owner had passed several years ago. She was only with me for a year or two (she was really old)... but she seemed grateful for a safe home.

      Delete
  6. I am SO happy we Sparkers are finding our way over to blogspot!! So looking forward to this support!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The idea of linking blogs is awesome. So many of us are still finding our way. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One step at a time, we will get there!✨ Spark on!

      Delete
  8. That reminds me that the kids got one of those home cameras to watch the dog when they were at work. It became a distraction to both of them!
    It's funny, my scale has seen a downward trend also this past month. I almost feel sneaky not posting a weight loss! Yet, I feel some freedom as well. Thanks for the link to MA's blog. She wrote what I've been living.
    I am who I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does not surprise me that MamieAllie's blog resonated with you, too. And that's hilarious (and rings true) about the home camera to watch the dog. I'm sure if I had a "Carl cam" I'd be rapt!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the link. It was really nice to see others 'get' what I am saying. There is soooo much more to life in so many ways. BTW I too have been checking out those who blog here too so I can keep up with former SparkPeople. Great to connect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to have a place to gather! If we refer kindred spirits to one another's blogs, the group grows stronger!

      Delete
  10. "I have found a way of eating that is comfortable, and a level of activity that makes me happy... now we'll just see what the body gives me."

    Yes!! That really speaks to me and is pretty much where I'm at. And where your cats are at -- right? They are self-evidently happy in their furry skins!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could learn a thing or two from our animals!

      Delete
  11. You and me both, so if you find some I haven't yet, and choose to link them in your blog, that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I should come over here and blog. I see you and WATERMLLEN are here. Best of luck, you seem to be thriving here!

    SUSMANNIE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be welcome here, for sure. Love your moniker, there! I got through the part of flylady where I made the bed and got dressed "down to the shoes" before dropping out... I still keep up THOSE habits, and they serve me well.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for the link to MamieAllie's page. It is an excellent blog. I'm glad to find kindred spirits from Spark are moving over to here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... so glad to see the "wordier" / more contemplative among us finding an outlet. If a brief status and "hi" is enough, MyFitnessPal is probably fine.

      Delete
  14. I came back from Texas after cleaning up BFF's house ... fired up and ready to kick alllllll these extra pounds to the curb to find out Sparks is closing down as we know it.

    Sent me right back into a tail spin ... or chasing my tail.
    😺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember to breathe, my friend! If you are ready, you will find a tool that fits! And... selfishly, you can always come here for an encouraging word and a virtual hug! 🙏

      Delete

Something I forgot about puppies

Early this morning I called the HVAC place I subscribe to and asked them to send someone to survey the damage that Ember had inflicted to th...