Saturday, July 10, 2021

Day 34: The promise of a new morning

I love mornings... a fresh new day.  If it's a day like today, I have nothing scheduled.  I did however have an idea of a few things I wanted to accomplish, or at least "work on".

Remember a couple of weeks ago, getting my tree cleaned up, now nice the base of it looked?

It looked so nice!  I asked if there was something I could put on it to keep the suckers from growing back.  Unfortunately, said the arborist, not without endangering the whole tree!  You will have to trim them back, sorry!

So... time passes...

This morning?  Sure enough.  Give a plant a couple of weeks of rain and sunshine, and bingo!

I grumbled a bit, took its picture, and went for my morning pre-breakfast walk.  I cut it short, thinking "I need to spend at least SOME energy addressing this issue TODAY".  


I did not make much headway.  After my efforts, it looked like this:
But my back was done with bending and snipping, so I filled three bins with lopped "volunteer" trees and weeds.  Later I went out and added two more bins full, from the back yard.

There is a whole lot more "deforestation" to be done, as there always seems to be with my yard.  But I have to pace myself and pick the time of day when I won't get broiled doing the work.  

Two years ago, when Carl was a puppy, I had him one day a week, so I spent a lot of time in the back yard, and it got under control.  Last year, I had the shed back there taken out, and some cleanup happened so that the men could work on it..  This year, Sleeping Beauty's forest is once again taking over, so I'm trying to get a grip on it!

Lunch time already.  Nutritious food is another thing I like to work on.  Lots of fresh veggies in this salad, and a little protein (hard boiled egg) and a little fat (seven small olives).    
Doesn't the salad look yummy?

Now, let's all get out there and live the day we're given, this one and only Saturday, July 10, 2021 we'll ever get!  Because LIFE is good, and we are each and every one of us worth living it for!  ✨👍💖😍 Spark on!

26 comments:

  1. I'd be grumbling, too... I have a corner of my yard that's full of irises, but the neighbors vine likes to creep over and I have to keep that under control. Their kids came and cut down most of the vine (it appears to have been a grape vine at one time) because it was climbing up and surrounding their big pine tree, but they missed enough that the work must be done again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That meal looks delicious and very healthy too.

    Super work with the tree, I know I need to do some weeding in my front garden, probably Monday now! Must try not to procrastinate about it, maybe start with a before photo tomorrow, Sunday. Wish me luck! Thanks for sharing your day and joy, love it all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I usually forget to snap the "before" pick with yard work, but then I don't know how much I did! Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Salad does indeed look yummy. My GI tract rebels at veggies in their raw form so I get in 5 or 6 freggies each morning in my smoothie. Our subdivision was built beginning in 1980 and many of us have native and planted oak trees that are lovely BUT these days are invading plumbing, breaking up sidewalks and sending up those suckers at a rapid pace. I liken this to the rose bushes having thorns. Along with the beauty comes the thorns that keep away predators that allows us to enjoy the beauty. ~PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some veggies are actually more nutritious cooked! And you're right about the trade-offs with landscaping and flowers. That tree belongs to the city, but their crews generally skip trimming it because the neighbor parks his truck in their way.

      Delete
  4. The salad looks great, I love you have clover for the bees and what in the Sam Hill is that tree? I never saw so many suckers and in such a short amount of time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big fan of clover... so I also have dandelions! The tree is between the sidewalk and street, so it technically belongs to the city.

      Delete
  5. Oh my. That lovely crunchy proteiny salad is reminding me that I completely forgot to eat lunch! 😳

    The garden over here is more like a jungle. I do a little here and there to beat it back, but those plants have long days right now, in which to grow back!

    Sometimes I enjoy looking at the beautiful blanket of snow out there in the winter... It’s comparatively relaxing. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... snow is relaxing, as long as YOU don't have to shovel it, or drive in it to get somewhere on a schedule!

      Delete
  6. try again that salad looks great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked both times! LOL... I wonder if there is a lag, or a refresh or something where you can't see your own comments right away?

      Delete
  7. Wishing I could work more in the yard - playing it safe. Stiff after sitting for two hours ... going to map some more routes and decide tomorrow whether I’ll go 1.5 or 1.6. The slow and gradual is driving me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need a talking/walking companion? Might go slightly less nuts?

      Delete
  8. We have had wonderful, wonderful monsoons this afternoon--three episodes of good soaking rain. We need it so badly as this is the only time of year it really rains here in the desert. So, rather than trying to pull plants out, we are trying to get them to survive :) Your salad looks fabulous! My daughter left some English cucumbers in her fridge when the family went on holiday so I made a cucumber salad tonight with Bolthouse Yogurt Dressing. Thanks for popping over to my "house" on Blogspot, this is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun... learning new things... once we get over our initial reluctance. Yesterday evening I discovered a couple of quirks about reading my blog on the phone app... slowly, slowly, I add to the skill set. This morning I read your comments on the app, but wimped and came to the laptop to reply!

      You've adjusted to the rhythms of the desert, over the years, and you appreciate it's beauty!

      Delete
  9. Oh yeah: gardening "remediation" is like housework, never done!! But: I recommend to you my "two hour" rule (the suggestion of my dear sister): basically, I never do MORE than two hours max of anything!! The rest will still be there: tomorrow. Don't work when it's too hot, don't work when it's too buggy, don't work when it's raining: and fuel with nutritious stuff!! My giant salad yesterday included glorious fresh lettuces, gift from a neighbour, and for protein, tuna sald mixed with chopped pickled beet: so pretty and delish! When I add olives and dried oregano to my salad: I think of OKM!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a wise rule... I think I hit that two hour limit yesterday, separated into two sessions. And this morning my shoulder (why a shoulder?) is telling me so!

      LOL... you think of me with salad spices, I think of you when designing soups!

      Delete
  10. Wow! I did it, I found the comment area. Thank you for guiding us along the way. That salad looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe a Happy Birthday was to be said here (7/10).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it was not a birthday... but another kind of anniversary.

      Delete
  12. Nature does try to conquer where it can...good looking salad included! I made a taco salad myself. Yum and so filling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm late to the party ... I bet your salad was awesome !!!\

    And I love Bolthouse salad dressing like Valerie mentioned.
    🥦

    ReplyDelete

Sunday adventures with kitty and puppy

The morning started well.  Mommy fed the cat first, before even getting the puppy out to "take care of business".  I think this wa...