Wednesday, January 4, 2023

2023 is off and running (well, walking, at least)

One, two, three, four... the pebbles start to fill the jar as the days start marching into 2023.

This early in the year, it's easy to see the daily progress.  As the days and months pass, it becomes less clear.

One thing that has been surprising, after that deep cold snap the week leading up to Christmas has been the milder, more "normal" temperatures, and dodging the snow storms that are rocking other parts of the state.  It gives me that sense of "waiting for the other shoe to drop" that is the looming of what my memory might tell me January can bring. I'm all in for enjoying this while we can!

Wednesday is another gray day outside.  We did get some snow flurries dancing but as of 1:30 p.m. nothing has accumulated.  Yesterday we got a little moisture in the form of rain. 

Now that Christmas leftovers have been used up, Wednesday seemed an excellent day to pull out the big crock pot.

Chicken Breasts
on a bed of potatoes
 and other veggies.
I started prepping at 7:30 a.m. so that it would be ready well within my feeding window.  The leftovers will feed me for the week.  

It has "whatever was in the fridge" as the bed of veggies under the chicken breasts.  Potatoes, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, mushrooms, bell peppers, and of course onions.  I made use of the Tuscan Rosemary seasoning I was given for Christmas, a can of cream of chicken soup, and a cup of skim milk.

While the slow cooker did its thing, I submitted my online grocery order, and drove over to pick it up.  


Here's how it turned out.

Wednesday is also "walk with my sister" day.  I haven't heard from her yet (usually she texts me as she gets off work and we confirm that we're on), but neither of us has called it off in advance (which we do if either of us is not up to the conditions of the day for whatever reason).

That's about it from here... I have read a bit more, still working on the color vision chapter of An Immense World.  Also read a chapter in Fast. Feast. Repeat.

In short, a quiet day!  

Hope you're having smooth sailing in whatever part of the world you inhabit.  Remember YOU are worth making a priority!

Life is good.  Spark on!

🔥✨💖❆⛄

12 comments:

  1. Sounds good and I bet it tasted good too!
    My Christmas ham/cabbage/carrot/onion mixture was awesome and I wish I had more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds good, too. I'm thinking tomorrow I have a couple of choices of whether to cook up another big batch of "something" to alternate with my chicken "chowder".

      Delete
  2. Looks yummy! The black eyed peas and steamed cabbage from New Year's Day dinner were finished yesterday. I made a roast beef yesterday that is sliced, bagged, and frozen for future meals. I'm going to roast a head of cabbage tomorrow.

    It's been a "putzy" kind of day. Just putzing with small jobs, nothing major. Probably the weather change. Much colder today. No opening the storm doors. The furnace had to be turned on again today, the first time "all year". ;-)

    Have a marvelous evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need those kinds of days in the mix, don't we? Stay warm!

      Delete
  3. Crock pot meal looks and sounds wonderful!! Hope you got your walk in…I was able to walk 4.8 miles this A.M. with my group…go figure, 2 days ago I was in such terrible back pain that I could barely move. I’ll take activity any day! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was warm and filling. We got our sister walk in, only a mile, but when it's January in Nebraska, we're happy we're not buried in a drift or slipping on ice. It was a good day.

      So glad your back got better!

      Delete
  4. I love when you can get a meal to last for several days. I may have to pull of the slow cooker this week to get something yummy going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I like having a couple of those meals pre-prepared to alternate so you don't get bored. Turkey chili might be my alternate... if I get my act together!

      Delete
  5. For my NYD blackeyed peas, I opened a can & chopped up a package of sliced ham which I had bought for a camping trip that didn't materialize. As you say, warm & filling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those comfort foods sure do hit the spot in January!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...