Saturday, January 14, 2023

Daily gratitude for the week of January 8 - 14th (complete)

 

Gratitude, day by day, is good for me.  I shall grow this week's list of little things I'm grateful for, Sunday through Saturday.

Sunday, January 8th:  Today I am thankful for YouTube videos.  I can get short videos on a variety of subjects, including humor, exercise, and local church services.  I can also avoid the "noise".  It is much more under my own control that just watching "over the air" television.

Of late, I've been stepping to the beat of Leslie Sansone's walking videos, and being amused by Lawrence Brown's "Lost in the Pond" videos about the differences between Britain and the USA.  But the gratitude is for the platform, as a whole!

Monday, January 9th:  Today I am thankful for the energy to do household chores, while working around appointment times.  The HVAC filter guy didn't get here until the end of his appointment window, and in between, I did cat laundry, changed the table cloth on the dining room table (it became part of the cat laundry), ran the dishwasher, and swept up the leftover artificial tree "needles" that somehow seem endless.

Tuesday, January 10th:  Today I'm taking a moment to be thankful for the life of my father, and the example he set of responsibility and quiet support of both his wife and all his five children.  He was at just about every childhood event, from concerts to sports matches.  In terms of discipline, he was a believer in appealing to a child's innate sense of reason and logic.  He expected excellence in academics.  And the worst thing we as children could do was disappoint him.  

He's been gone from this plane for over 20 years now, but his influence on the values of his children lives on.  His quiet smile, his dry sense of humor, his tendency to always be early... show up in the following generations.

Sunset January 10, 2023

Wednesday, January 11th:  This morning I am grateful for sunrises and sunsets.  In the great plains sometimes we get amazing ones.  If the old saying about "red sky at night, sailor's delight" holds any sway, today should be a good one.

Thursday, January 12th:  Today I am thankful for good sleep, the past week, especially.  Rest is so important to a good quality of life.

Friday, January 13th:  Today I am thankful for another good dental check up.  Nice to have those boxes ticked off!

Saturday, January 14th:  Today I am giddily thankful for a day with NO ITEMS on the schedule!  It's supposed to be mild (for January) with temperature reaching the middle 40's F, so there's that to be grateful for as well.

Tomorrow I'll start a fresh post for next week's gratitude!  There's always something to be thankful for (or glad, as Pollyanna would have it).  Get this, here we all are, playing Pollyanna's glad game!

🔥💖✨

38 comments:

  1. 01-08 - I will second that about YouTube, there is so much there. I am grateful for the BookingHunter.com who does beautiful walking tours of places that I probably will never get to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now, thanks to you, I have another possible to check out! Awesome!

      Delete
    2. 01-09 - a simple one today, a really good cup of tea to start the morning. Your welcome, it is a great collection of walks and he doesn't bounce the camera or turn too quickly.

      Delete
    3. Ooh, I also love a good cuppa tea, but I prefer mine about mid-morning. Coffee first, tea after breakfast. Grateful for good coffee and tea blends!

      Delete
    4. 01-10 - Video chats that allow me to see my sister who lives in Florida and talk with her. When I was moved away from home this was not available and there was just costly long distance and writing. Now we can see each other to talk to.

      Delete
    5. That's a good one, Alicia! Zoom is what saved the whole year 2020 holiday season for our family!

      Delete
    6. 01-11 - This may sound silly but it is what came to mind today, indoor plumbing, I was just thinking how awful it must have been to have to bundle up to get to the outhouse to do one's business in the winter especially in the middle of the night.

      Delete
    7. Not silly at all. As a child when I lived on the farm with my aunt and uncle and cousins, we *did* have an outhouse across the yard, but at night (we slept in an attic room) we employed chamber pots. They had ONE indoor bathroom, but we weren't allowed to come down and use it in the night as it was right next to the master bedroom.

      Delete
    8. 01-12 - A week of doing nothing special after so many things needing doing
      01-13 - Hairdressers as there is no way I could do anything with my hair at all.

      Delete
    9. Don't you just love those "down" days after a busy week? And who isn't grateful for someone who know how to do their hair?

      Delete
    10. 01-14 - I had a memory video pop up of our old cat and it made me grateful for all the pets we have had and all they taught us about love.

      Delete
  2. 01-08 The wintry mix reappeared in the late night. Big, wet snowflakes that amounted to about an inch. The sun came out this morning, temps above freezing, and the snow melted with no shoveling required. I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those "free" snows where no shoveling is required!

      Delete
  3. Giggling as I'm envisioning an actual, grumpy cat in the washer. There's probably a cartoon I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing I don't try that. I'd be sliced and diced from here to the cartoon and back!

      Delete
  4. 01-09 Mother Nature gifted us with a warm day to open the storm door windows. Chores completed: inside and out. I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 💖 A sense of accomplishment is gratitude worthy!

      Delete
  5. 01-10 Another sunny, warm day. A fine day to travel to the cemetery and have a visit. I'm thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, too. Seems like you and Paula are on similar missions, getting out to visit gravesites.

      Delete
  6. For sure, we get some amazing sunrises and sunsets. Today, though, isn’t one of them. Rainy/icy. BUT this too shall pass!

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain is also something to be thankful for... when it's enough and not too much, that is. Right now, we're in a deficit here!

      Delete
  7. The latest sky shot is pretty! I did NOT will the lottery last night. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't win the lottery other. Guess I'm grateful I didn't play that round, since nobody did?

      Delete
  8. 01-11 Gorgeous sunrises and sunsets. Grateful for nature's gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 01-12 Rain all night into the morning. All the snow landed to the east about 15 miles and 50 miles south. Schools were closed and advisories were posted. We didn't get a flake! To say I'm thankful doesn't begin to express my gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dodging those weather "bullets" is a good one! Amen, as we're missing the storms in this round, too.

      Delete
  10. 01-13 A calm, peaceful day. I'm grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot to be said for calm. Happy weekending to you!

      Delete
  11. Today I am glad that things are getting done to be ready for DH’s shoulder replacement on Monday.

    Hugs
    barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a big week coming up! Prayers & best wishes for that shoulder surgery for your DH.🙏

      Delete
  12. Comments on your Dad resonate strongly with my own.

    I'm lurking for now instead of commenting on each and every blog I follow.

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are times in life when lurking is quite appropriate... when you don't have the time or oomph to even comment! Blessings to you and yours!

      Delete
  13. 01-14 it's been a productive week. I'm grateful.

    ReplyDelete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...