Friday, January 13, 2023

Finally Friday!

 

They may look like bunnies in this photo, but these are the duckling statues in the Boston Public Gardens, in the rainy Saturday before the Boston Marathon in 2019.  Someone dressed them up for Easter. They come to mind because of my dental appointment this morning.

My dentist, whose husband qualified for the Boston Marathon for 2023, had asked me for recommendations of things appropriate for their family... "things to see" in Boston.  And since her kids are 5 and 8, I thought of the ducklings, the swan boats and the book Make Way for Ducklings, by Robert McCloskey.  Those of us of a certain age remember it being featured on Captain Kangaroo.  It tells the tale of a mother duck trying to find a safe place for her clutch, and their adventures finding their way to what turns out to be the Boston Public Gardens, where the swan boats run.

While I was at the dental office, my old dentist came in, the one who is semi-retired.  Apparently he still practices for a few long-time patients, and he was there to do an extraction for someone.  But while he waited for the hygienist to go set up his room, he and I chatted for a while.  He's a couple years older than I am, and what do you supposed we talked about?  Why, staying safe and what we've seen and read recently about Covid-19 discoveries, of course.

Three years later we are still talking about it.  Why?  Because it's still here, mutating and infecting and yes, even killing.

I wore out early today, and am coming back at bedtime to finish off the blog and post it.

Life is still good.  Keep on Sparking!

🔥

12 comments:

  1. What cute little "Bucklings" I'm going to call them. I loved Captain Kangaroo and would watch it in the morning before school.

    Yep, Covid is still here and wish people would understand that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it... "bucklings"! Could work if they put antlers on them, too!

      Delete
  2. Welcome to a relaxing(I hope), unpeopled weekend! My “last week” was similar to your “this week”….3 doc appointments and various other commitments…it is exhausting! I am catching up on your blogs…enjoyed all of the various pics and the mention of the IF book, which I shall read. It will be very interesting to get the blood test results on Monday…I know that you’re looking forward to the report!! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My brother mentioned to me in a conversation (a few years ago, obviously) that his problem was not over-peopling as much as over-scheduling, and it made me re-consider the term. But I am relieved to have nothing on the schedule for two whole days.

      Delete
  3. Yup, no matter how easy a dentist visit is I am always exhausted by the time I get home. Not sure what takes the energy from me but it sure does. I love the bucklings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dentist chair, usually just for a cleaning, causes anxiety. A good check-up is a good thing.

    Yesterday was Rubber Ducky Day...fitting photo. ;-)

    Happy Saturday. May it be a quiet one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your day, Barb!

    Yes! I remember that from Captain Kangaroo! Great show.

    Yeah, pretty disgusting to still be talking about Covid, but it is among us . .. STILL.

    Hugs
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Wasn't that a fun outing? And so perfect for kids!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...