Friday, January 27, 2023

Miscellaneous stuff and nonsense!

 

For those of you who may have forgotten, The Prisoner sliced my index finger last week, and I bandaged it up.  It healed, of course, because at least my body still remembers how to do that.  Thankfully!

Thursday it was Rubia who leapt for the table, missed, and dug her claw into my pinky (on the same hand!)  I yelped and called her a bad kitty and opened the sliding glass door for her to flee to the great outdoors.  She knows what "bad kitty" means.

Cats!  I bandaged it up and hope the body will do its thing again.  

Goofy thing of the day?  Working out with the trainer, he said something about not being THAT much older than I am, and I did a double-take.  Gary, I'm older than you.  He'd forgotten that I'd turned 70, and he's just 66!  I said "thank you", and then he said I was in good shape (fitness, he's happily married, ladies, and I am no poacher!).  Two great compliments in one session!  Besides the "good work" comment at the end, too.

Reading report:  I'm back into the Black History reading in White Rage.  We are now into voter suppression as the backlash to the election of Barack Obama, so fairly current day stuff.  Unlike while I read the chapters on Brown Vs Board of Education and the Civil Rights movement, I did not feel that I was clueless during this period of history.  

I was an adult and watched it all happen with interest (his election).  I guess I had my rose-colored glasses on, as I saw this as a sign of progress and acceptance.  But I also watched the backlash, and the growing public hatefulness.  The backlash is still going on, in laws being instituted to ensure "ballot integrity" which tend to put certain groups at a disadvantage in trying to exercise their voting rights.  It's easy for those of us with driver's licenses to assume "everyone" has one.  It's easy for those of us living as a "nuclear family" to assume having a piece of mail like a utility bill in your name with your address is not a barrier to an adult obtaining Identification, etc.  A lot depends on how these laws are written, and they CAN be tailored.

On Wednesday slopping over into Thursday I did laundry, folded and put away.  And I went online shopping.  You know those things that you never replace even though they are gradually getting more and more "terrible"?  The kind you used to notice your parents using, and you'd buy them a new one for Christmas?  In my case, it's my egg pan, and my small oat simmering pan.  Both have seen far better days, but I have kept on using them.  I would hate for anyone to see them now.  On Thursday I went shopping on line.  The replacements will arrive next week.

I also got an e-mail from Project Repat... the quilt I ordered in November and deliberately did NOT put a rush on, will be arriving soon... they have shipped it.  And some raspberry chocolate coffee I ordered will be arriving today, according to another e-mail.  

Friday here is the best weather day we'll have for a while.  The sun is out there brightening things up.  We will be hit with snow overnight and deep cold for the next five or six days.  Winter... but somehow, even though it is Winter, next week also brings a calendar page turn, and February always seems like there's not much Winter left!

I think I may have mentioned family plans to go to the movies on the 22nd being canceled due to the ugly head of Covid being once again reared.  Lacey's dad got it a second time!  So they put that outing off, and his isolation time is up again for THIS weekend, so the plan is to brave the cold and go see "A Man called Otto" in the theater for the Sunday matinee.  I'm looking forward to it.

Enough for this week!  Here's hoping you all have a good weekend.  Take care of yourselves... be kind to yourselves... and to others, too.

Life is good.

Keep Sparking!

🔥✨💖



13 comments:

  1. The kitties have now branded you as their human...twice.

    What nice compliments from your trainer! Those are soooo good for the ego!

    Missouri is a very red state. One of these days, I'll tell you about the comments spouted by some of my students after Obama was elected. Knowing they were only repeating what they'd heard at home, those comments were quickly ignored and the subject changed.

    Aldi had chocolate raspberry k-cups during the holidays. Now I wish I'd bought 2 or 3 boxes. I'm hoping they will still have some in stock when I shop there again.

    Tomorrow will be the nicest, warmest day for a while. Freezing rain predicted for tomorrow night. Brutal cold returns for an extended visit next week. Sigh

    A Man called Otto is getting good reviews. The reviews are immaterial to me. Over the years, I've enjoyed many movies that the critics panned. There were others that got rave reviews that didn't appeal much. Entertainment is in the eye and ear of the beholder. Yesterday, I watched a 2020 movie called The Father staring Anthony Hopkins. I don't know where this one has been hiding. Maybe I wouldn't have appreciated it until now.

    Have a great weekend. Enjoy the outing with family and friends.
    Happy Friday!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Branded me" for sure! Nebraska is also a very red state, but I guess I was raised with the pride of the history as it was taught when I was in school: we were "the good guys", admitted to the union as a "free state". But there were still brutal things, and there still are prejudices here, too.

      Oh how nice that you were able to source the raspberry chocolate k-cups locally. A lot of the time these "special" flavors only show up briefly around the holidays. I found this on line. I'm down to one flavored coffee a day, so will splurge and order them.

      Today is OUR nicest warmest day... we are predicted to get the snow overnight tonight and the temperature plunging to go with it. But right now (4:20 p.m. Friday) it's 40F, with sunshine!

      I had heard good things about "The Father" but I haven't streamed it yet. Hearing you say it was worthwhile will nudge me in that direction!

      Delete
  2. Those kitties sure do love you in their own weird way. LOL.

    I'm pretty lucky we're mostly a "Blue" state now, except for way upstate where Lauren Bobert is from, but the rest of us don't claim her. Right now our state house is 75% democrats and majority of the house is woman, YAY!

    Today we had 42 outside, but we're going to plunge to below freezing for the next week. There's lots of snow coming too. Winter is hanging around for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrrr! Stay warm. I was prompted by reading this to go peek outside to see if the snow the weatherman talked about had shown up. It did not. But... pleasant surprise, my Raspberry Chocolate Lava coffee was on my porch! Happy camper here, as I distributed the treat pods into my own version of a coffee bar. Now I'm ready!

      Delete
  3. Cats!
    Backlash of all kinds right now. I wonder what we'll wake up to tomorrow.
    You've got me thinking about replacement things. My Achilles heel is towels and sheets. You know the sheets are done when you pull them up to your nose and at the same time feel the rip at your feet. I'll sew them once or twice to squeak out the last of use. They had reached maximum softness!
    When I cut strings off of towels that clearly have had better days, I can't quite throw them out for a while. They become spares for clean-up jobs yet somehow find themselves back in the closet!

    Maybe it's time to tackle my closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, sheets and towels! You remind me of another blind spot in my closets. Towels especially. I usually keep ONE good set to put in the bathroom shared with guests and use the ratty ones myself. Or demote them to cat-carrier liners, and dog bath towels. Yikes!

      Something to think about for me, too!

      Delete
  4. Cats - 2
    Barb - 0

    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I continue to use my Wear-Ever pots and pans purchased in 1968. Over the years I added a small cast iron pan and stovetop cast iron griddle. At one point I switching to Vision Ware items but only have one pot of those remaining. Spouse has always done the dishes but is very rough on breakable items! I smile when I use them recalling my Mom admonishing me for spending so much on pots & pans. I still use the Oneida stainless steel utensils and steak knife set that came along with the purchase.

    Covid on the rise again here in Central Texas. There have been large nurses strikes happening the past week or so.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Quality LASTS! I bought a set of Vita-Craft cookware when I was 20. Those pots and pans are 50 years old, now, and still in use in my kitchen. The two I am replacing are a non-stick that is losing its non-stick, and a cheapo soup pan that came with cans of soup (a gift-pack). They may be "cheapo" but they got used A LOT, and yes, are being replaced with something a little up-scale. But if they last 15 years, I'm good.

      Covid is in circulation here, but so far everyone I know who's got it has recovered pretty well, and not needed a hospital stay. Keeping fingers and toes crossed for all of us!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the sincere compliments from your trainer…that is awesome …. Pat yourself on the back for putting in the work and seeing the results!! Two kitty accidents …. Hope that’s it for awhile!
    Enjoy your weekend and your Sunday family outing…sounds like fun! Karen (Eissa7)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... it was a real ego-boost! I also hope that's it for kitties, but you know, it's winter... cabin fever kitties are crazy!

      Enjoy your own weekend, whatever it brings!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...