Monday, January 16, 2023

The construction zone progresses

 

This photo was taken Sunday on my short walk.  They have a base down... I'll have my eyes peeled for cement trucks this week.  Not yet today, but they are spreading rock/gravel base.

I decided I could not take the hair getting one day's worth longer, and showed up at my local Cost Cutters right at opening time.  They were able to take me right away, and I think they did a fine job (photo below).

I came home for the "in between" because the doctor's appointment wasn't until 1:30 p.m.  This gave me a chance to do my Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. day reading.  I had assigned myself a chapter in my educational book, White Rage, by Carol Anderson.

This chapter was Rolling Back Civil Rights, and again, it was all things that happened during my own lifetime, while my sheltered little white girl was completely unaware.  Well, maybe not completely, but in my own pink cloud world.  In fact, I remember thinking that some of the political reasoning described as justification rang true to me, at that time in my past.  

I still have trouble with "equality of opportunity" versus "equality of outcomes", and so it's somewhat uncomfortable reading.  I am keeping an open mind, and recognizing the ignorance involved in "color-blind" reasoning.  I accept that I have been a beneficiary of many of these policies, wholly without effort or knowledge.

The doctor was running about half an hour late, so I finished up my reading assignment just before he came in.  As I mentioned to my kid sis, I'm not sure how to think about what I heard.  

The cholesterol numbers were very good, better than I've seen in years.  I am on a statin 3 days a week, but those numbers have improved progressively the past three visits.  

The vitamin D levels were very good for Winter.  I think I can chalk that up to the good weather getting me outside more in January!

The one that has me completely gobsmacked is the thyroid (TSH) reading, which has also been improving, visit after visit, the past three visits.  

The doctor is reducing my dosage. I have been taking the thyroid medication for probably 15 years, and the dosage has never changed in that time.  Now he's dropping the dose by 1/3.  

The question in my mind of course is whether any of these improvements are in any way attributable to the intermittent fasting?  I don't know, but it motivates me to keep at it.  Or at least it didn't drop a wet blanket on the project!  The doctor wants me to come back for labs after taking the lower dose thyroid pill for two months, so that implies I need to keep what I'm doing to make the experiment fair.

That about wraps up my Monday!  Here's hoping all of you have been having as good a day as you can make it!

Life is good.  Spark on!

16 comments:

  1. Nothing like a hair cut to raise one's spirits. Lookin' good!

    The doctor's report must be a real ego boost. What an inspiration and motivation to continue with your daily exercise and food routine! Kudos!!!

    Have a marvelous evening! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That hair had been starting to drive me crazy between Christmas and New Years, and I finally got around to getting it cut on MLK day! Doctor's report felt... confusing. I had to go out for my walk afterward, to "assimilate" it.

      Hope you've had a good end to your Monday, and a restful night!

      Delete
  2. You can always learn something new and I love that you're doing that. Things could be wonderful in our world if everyone would open up to learn new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to fall into the pattern of assuming that everyone has had the same life experiences as you do, but the truth is, just as we all have individual bodies that respond differently, we also have different experiences that shape us. Public policy affects us differently, too.

      Delete
  3. Looking good and congrads on the numbers! Yep, what you are doing is working well - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This is kind of an anomaly for me... often the numbers did not match the efforts, and I could "get away" with not so great behavior, or, conversely, I could be "very very good" and see not so great numbers. We'll see if this matching thing lasts!

      Delete
  4. I don't do IF but eat what I'd classify as a Mediterranean diet. I just had my Thyroid med reduced, too, in November. First time in forever. Have to get labs scheduled, but . . . .I feel good. So . . . thyroid meds are not kind to the bones, so hope I can continue on a lower dosage. I would be a happy camper! Good luck!

    And I ALSO had a good Vit. D level, which is the first time in FOREVER! I attribute it to this weird winter and being able to be outside more than before w/the more habitable weather.

    Here's to a good Tuesday.

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not the only one, then. The doctor seemed to think that it may also be that as I age I have less need for the medication. He's a little worried by how far the next pill steps me down, thus the labs. And I have osteopenia so reducing the meds might help that, too? I did not know that!

      Have a great Tuesday. Hope Jason's surgery went well!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a very good doc report, to me! Congrats…whether or not IF is the reason!! You feel better on IF, so that’s reason enough to keep at it! Glad that you were able to get such a nice haircut without a wait…Have a lovely Tuesday! Karen (Eissa7)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... feeling good is the BEST reason to keep up a healthy habit / routine! Have a lovely Tuesday yourself!

      Delete
  6. Great numbers at the docs. Thyroid issues, knock on wood, are not on my personal list.

    Great haircut. I've been toying with idea of cutting my waist-length hair but can't quite commit to this as my braid anchors the straps on my Bi-PAP head gear. When I experimented with my hair in a bun on top of my head, the air leaks were astronomical as the straps moved around too much. Allergies to hair products and advanced arthritis, especially in my hands make it simpler to brush, pull to the side and use an elastic hairband in place of braiding it.

    We are having summer here in Central TX in the mid-80's!

    I think IF has personally helped me balance some of my labs.

    Keep on keeping on!

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hair as an anchor part of other attire (or equipment) is important. My kid sis kept her hair long to anchor her face mask for the year and a half it was a work requirement.

      My thyroid had been stable for so long, it's kind of a shock to have the dosage change. Picked up the new prescription this afternoon.

      Enjoy your Summer. If we get the volume of snow some are talking about for tomorrow, we'll be quite white for a while!

      Whether the IF is helping the lab balance or not, I feel great on it, and that's very beneficial!

      Delete
  7. Reading & commenting just now, Weds., I too have gotten some results from Tues Dr appt. I giggled at the term used: insignificant. It may be one of the few times it’s exactly what you want to here. This was in reference to the kidneys, meaning they are healthy, of course.
    Good job on your improvements & good luck with the lowered dose!

    -RunKeeper Dee

    [PS The construction site photo reminded me of the VERY scary event that happen on my drive to the Tues appt. I hit a HUGE & deep pothole doing about 45mph, popped my front tire, scared me half to death… I drove the same route this morning for today’s appt and there was a huge wreck, multi-car pile-up at the site of the pothole. I knew I got lucky yesterday, today’s scene cemented it.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! Popped your tire? No wonder you were scared! You'd have to be nuts NOT to be! Hope you got your alignment checked out when you got the tire fixed?

      Stay safe out there!

      Delete
    2. There was no saving the tire. Bought 2 new ones (front and back are different sizes) and yes, got the alignment. No point skimping out on that!
      -RunKeeper Dee

      Delete
    3. OK. You can tell I responded to the other comment first. Whew!

      Delete

Going with the flow

  In the corner of the yard, during Ember's "last call" backyard time on Thursday, The Prisoner crouches on the corner of the ...