Friday, December 16, 2022

Nine days to Christmas

It's cold outside.  Windy, too.  Must be a good day to make chili!

Not the leanest of ground beef, but it was the kind that was on sale at the grocery this week.  So I browned it and drained the fat, best could do.  The onions and peppers were sauteed in olive oil, then added spicing, and canned tomatoes and beans, and some fresh mushroom slices.  Smells wonderful and I'll have it for the last meal before starting my fast.

I had a phone call from my son yesterday evening.  He's still feeling OK, puzzled over why of all the people at the "family birthday dinner out", he was the only one who did not come down with Covid-19.  When he thinks through it, it may be that this was not the root source of the infection, but rather the family got it the days that they moved grandma from one wing of the care home to another.  Everyone except he was involved to one degree or another in that move.

He will re-test on Saturday.  If he does not come down with it, we should be clear to do Christmas the same way we did Thanksgiving.  If he does succumb, well, that would be a cancel for the dinner.  But, he says, "I already bought the ham."  That's optimism, right?  

I checked in with Lacey this afternoon.  Turns out she did lose smell and taste for a bit, but it's been coming back, gradually.  We've both been reading the same book:  An Immense World by Ed Yong.  It talks about the experience of animals and their senses.  The first chapter is all about the sense of smell, and it's discussed ants, dogs, elephants, birds and snakes, and how they use their olfactory sense in the world.

The weatherman pretty much tells us we're going to be in the deep freeze all the way through Christmas.  I went out for a walk in "the elements" which today is pretty much overcast with a gusty North wind.  There is something about battling the elements that makes one feel alive.

Here's hoping that we're all doing our best to treat the one and only body we've each been issued for life as well as we can manage, on this one and only Friday, December 16, 2022 we'll ever get.

Life is good.  Spark on!

🎄🔥💖

16 comments:

  1. It's been a chili kind of day all over the US. The weather is brutal and going to get worse. Our plans for games and food with the grands on Christmas Eve afternoon and services later, have all been canceled. The temperature for Christmas Eve day is predicted to be minus 8*. Some closings and cancellations have already been posted and I'm sure there will be more in the coming days. So while we have taken all the precautions for Covid and the flu, Mother Nature is all powerful.

    Tomorrow's post is The Festival of Winter Walks. I thought of you as I was putting it together.

    Fingers crossed that DS stays well. It's a bit surprising he didn't get it from future daughter-in-law. Distance and lots of handwashing, surely helps. Does he mask at home? No matter. Prayers that good health continues.

    Stay safe. Be well. Bundle up!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He says it is challenging trying to avoid catching it in his own home, the hardest part being he cannot comfort her with hugs. Yes, they are both masking at home, and eating separately, and poor Carl is all confused. The birds pretty much don't care.

      We are predicted to have a high temperature of 0 F on the 22nd, so we're headed for the deep freeze, too. Stay safe, well and warm!

      Delete
    2. It's the wind. The wind chill will make the minus 8* feel much, much colder. The weather people seem to be more accurate predicting the wind than the rest of weather...30 or 40 mph takes your breath away.

      Delete
    3. Agreed. My brother (you remember MOBYCARP) said the wind was more important in determining what to wear for his runs than the ambient temperature.

      Delete
  2. The chili looks wonderful. I've never put mushrooms in it and I will give it a go. I've mushrooms in my house daily.
    I hope all goes well with the illnesses. We've our family party tomorrow but this time it will be hit and run with all the grandchildren having sports and banquets. Things change.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things do change, and we all adapt, don't we? Christmastime is here!

      Delete
    2. Your chili stuck in my head so I made a batch last night using my trusty crock pot. Different than yours but still the same idea, with ground turkey, it cooked all night and I woke to a great smelling house!
      I felt like I was back working! I used to prepare meals before bed, cook them on low setting and in the morning remove the contents to the refrigerator to consume when we all got home. We lived on all kinds of stews and roasts back then that benefitted from sitting in their own juices a while longer. One downside is the ability to tweak the seasonings...unless I sleepwalk!

      Delete
    3. How appropos... I was dreaming of making a crock pot full of potato soup, myself. But I have to use up the rest of the chili first! Crock pots are an awesome tool!

      Delete
  3. It looks like our freeze will come to an end this weekend and we'll get to the 40's. It'll only last until Monday and then back down to the low 30's.

    Fingers crossed that your son continues to be negative. All this is sure putting a damper on Christmas for so many. I hope you're able to have some kind of celebration with family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy that brief spate of warm while you have it... that's how we all survive Winter, eh? And thanks again for all the good wishes for family health!

      Delete
  4. That chili looks scrumptious!
    I haven’t heard from the pharmacy on my prescription yet - and I heard on the news that there’s a shortage of albuterol, so I’ll keep on keeping on and be grateful for what function I have. Pedaling the bike as I speak. Just keep moving! (Hugs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Move as you CAN, and don't worry if it's not as fast or as far as you remember being able to do! Love you, sis! (hugs)

      Delete
  5. Mmm on the pot of chili. Freeze warnings for tonight with predictions for a very, very, very cold Christmas Day with voiced hope that our power grid holds up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Texas power grid is definitely in my hopes and prayers, too, even though I am several states away. I have friends down there!

      The chili was awesome as an antidote to nibbling while baking on Saturday morning, too. To staying warm when it's cold outside!

      Delete
  6. We had beef stew with cornbread; warms the soul.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds stellar! Soul-warming is going to be needed over the final days of the year, according to our weather-man.

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...