Saturday, December 17, 2022

Gratitude List for week starting December 11th (updates as of 12/16)

 

Two weeks to Christmas.  Two years since the Christmas we had family gathering via Zoom, not in person!  A fresh new gratitude list for the week.

December 11th:  Today I am grateful for the balance of people and solitude that seems to be developing for the holiday season.  We all sit somewhere on the continuum of introversion to extroversion, and all of us have needs for both.

I am thankful for all who are tolerant of the needs of one another.  It makes for a wonderful glow of acceptance and love.

December 12th:  Today would have been my sister-in-law Carol's 70th birthday.  She succumbed to ALS when she was about only 60, about six weeks after her birthday.

My gratitude today is for knowing her and having her in my life.  She was definitely of my generation, our birthdays only about 3 weeks apart.  I loved her wicked sense of humor and her sense of social justice.  She was "woke" before "woke" was cool.  Just knowing her taught me a lot about life.

December 13th:  Today I am thankful for rain instead of snow for the bulk of this particular storm.  We really need the moisture.  And it would have to be a LOT of snow if it came as snow.

December 14th:  Today I am thankful for walkable sidewalks in my neighborhood for this afternoon's sister-walk.  Especially since she wanted to walk in her heeled boots.  I continue to be thankful for improving health among the soon-to-become family members who came up positive on their Covid tests over last weekend.

December 15th:  Today I am thankful that I'm not shoveling snow, just looking out at gently floating flurries.  They are starting to congregate... on the deck.  Tomorrow I may end up being thankful that I am ABLE to shovel!  😆

December 16th:  Today I am thankful for my mother and grandmothers, my aunts and their families and all the kitchen memories I have.  Most of these are from around holidays and vacations.  Grandma making pasta out of flour and eggs, cutting the rolled out dough with a sharp knife.  Another grandma scalding milk with cocoa powder on the stove and having me stir it.  Mom pressing Spritzer cookies and rolling out cutter cookies for us to decorate.  These were not to eat, but to go to the church Christmas sing!  Holidays are such a collection of memories.  May yours be warm and loving.

December 17th:  This morning I am grateful for all the forms of warmth during the Winter months.  I am so glad I have a working furnace.  That a microwave heats my cracked corn bag to warm my hands and lap.  That I have the means to make hot coffee, soup, etc.  And for the sun breaking through and being magnified as it comes through the windowpanes.

And that will wrap this week, and I'll start a post for a fresh week of Gratitude on Sunday!

🌞🎄

24 comments:

  1. I am grateful for the ability to be able to attend Mass in person once more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12-11 This morning started with a phone call, over an hour, with DD in North Carolina. So grateful that she and her family are safe .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the gif and your take on the peopling balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictured magnet was a Christmas gift to me from my son's father in law to be! In 2020 our "together" was virtual. Last year it was in person, live. This year? The jury is out, we shall see.

      Consequently the peopling balance may change. I'm ready for whatever.

      Delete
    2. About 12-14...we are predicted to get only rain out of the storm sent our way. Snow would have been pretty but considering 80 miles away they are to get about 10 inches, I'm content!

      Delete
    3. Luck of geography, for both of us! I'll take it.

      Delete
  4. 12-12 Unexpected visit from DD this morning. Coffee and conversation was a nice way to start the day. I'm grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely grateful that our precipitation is a little rain vs. snow. I'll take it.

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Let's not blanket the whole country at once!

      Delete
  6. 12-13 New perm today. Wash and dry...minimal prep. I'm grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for minimal prep! I'm a wash & dry hair care gal, too.

      Delete
  7. 12-14 Big monthly grocery outing with DD. Not my favorite chore. I'm grateful that I can now say I'm finished for the year. Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great feeling when that last to-do item is ticked off on the list, eh? Yay!

      Delete
  8. Some days I draw a huge blank on gratitude other than all the basics, health, hubby, family and care for Mom. Although today (12-15) I am grateful to be retired and able to stay home in bad weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share that specific gratitude, regularly! And nothing wrong with being grateful for the basics... like waking up and taking a breath!

      Delete
    2. That is a good one for today (12-16) still gloomy out there but I am awake and feeling pretty good.

      Delete
    3. Woo-hoo for awake and feeling pretty good!

      Delete
  9. 12-15 A few snowflakes this morning. I'm thankful it stopped with those few.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 12-16 My faith is strong and my faith provides comfort on the difficult days! I am very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many hugs. I've always been gratefully amazed that at the most difficult time is when faith comes surging to the rescue, and a peaceful closeness to God fills the heart, even as the tears may roll down the cheeks.

      Delete

Work in progress

 The woodpecker situation, work in progress At this point in the process, Jeremy the handyman had removed three smallish pieces of the sidin...