Sunday, December 18, 2022

Seven Days to Christmas

It may be seven days 'til Christmas, but it is the actual day of the final match in the World Cup, Soccer (or futbol) premiere event, the crowing of a World Championship Team.  What a match, France versus Argentina.  As I have throughout the tournament, I had the coverage on Peacock in Spanish.  What's fun about the whole experience, spread across several games?  The increasing ability to "catch the drift" of what's going on through my ears.

Since even the commercials are in Spanish, it reminds me so much of my experience in Italy on a business trip that lasted seven weeks, back in the 1980's.  I would turn on the TV in the evenings, and of course it was all in Italian.  Then based on what I saw heard the night before, would ask the guys at work what this or that meant.  By the end of those seven weeks I was able to "get by" pretty well, at least as far as the basics, directions, purchases, etc.

Argentina strikes first at about 24 minute mark.  And again at minute 35.  OMG, I watched them set up that second goal.  It was a long play back and forth the entire length of the pitch, but Argentina clearly controlled it (as much as anything is controlled in soccer, that is).  It was a thing of beauty.  You can see why they are in the finals.  

But then France came back with two quick goals deep in the second "half" (although strictly speaking soccer isn't timed the same way as most American sports).  Proving that they, too, belong in the finals.  It went into Extra Time, that phase of soccer where most of us have no clue when the game will actually end.  This ended with a tie, but that's a no-no in soccer.  We must have a winner, so they line up five(?) players on each side to do a penalty kick and whoever gets the most of those (one kicker versus the other team's goalie)... wins the game.  It went to the end, with Argentina winning on those kicks.

And after that excitement, who can even think about American NFL games?

My day continued from that point. I gave away the other half of the banana bread to the neighbor with whom I share a fence.  I continued with a walk outside.  It did not seem that cold, as there was sunshine and no wind to speak of.  The weather is headed for the deep freeze, with a high below zero F next Thursday, so I'm appreciating today while it's "nicer".

I sauteed onions and mushrooms, added baby spinach to it, and put two eggs sunny side up atop a baked yam for my "major" meal.  I felt really full after that meal, ended my eating window with baby carrots, an orange and my biocoffee a little after 2:30 p.m.

I plated up another batch of the better-looking cookies.  It's one thing to have baking as a holiday tradition.  Quite another thing to be left alone with the product of that baking!  

Alicia to the rescue.  She still has that marvelous place one takes excess treats to.  A job!  I drove my extra plateful over to her house while it was still daylight.  I'm going to call today a success.

Here's hoping you all had a "successful" Sunday, whatever that needs to mean for you!  

Life is good.  Spark on!

14 comments:

  1. Baking and gifting…making others happy thru sharing…true Christmas spirit!! Nice, Barb! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at the gym for the second half of the World Cup and of course my Spectrum AND Fox apps wouldn’t let me watch once the spin class started. I had 2 trusty people texting me the play by play, each in their own way. I felt the nail biting anxiety of the PKs and celebrated with a quick fist pump!! Very exciting for Cantor (Argentinian announcer) to announce the winners, you could hear him crying (thru his voice). I tried getting into the NFL games, but dozed off. I may have pushed harder than usual so no one would notice my attention was mostly on the play by play on my phone.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great game, worthy of the championship! I was swapping FB statuses back and forth with Mako (MJReimers, from Spark), as she's a huge soccer fan and was also watching, from up in Omaha.

      Delete
    2. I think there was 4 billion of us watching!
      -RunKeeper Dee

      Delete
    3. 4 billion would not surprise me. Soccer is the biggest sport in the world.

      Delete
  3. That was an exciting ending to the tournament. It was awesome!

    The cookies look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using Google, I'm trying to teach myself the rule and plays of soccer. I love watching it...understanding will come eventually.

    The cookies look perfect. Thursday is National Cookie Exchange day.
    Maybe your sister will have an exchange at her work. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she has a big exchange at work, so I donated some of mine to the cause. Good luck in your soccer-learning adventure. It should be fun!

      Delete
  5. You've brought up so many things from my life today! The egg, mushroom etc. break-fast is my go to.
    That game was good. I love well played sports, not caring who wins.

    I got a big kick out of your Spanish language game watching. Very out of public character, my DH has a habit of watching Spanish language TV and he can't speak a word of it! It all started, of course, with the lovely ladies. Now he has found multiple shows, mostly sports-games, where he can understand what's going in while picking up some words. He learned Italian as a toddler in his grandparents household and maybe this brings back the language, who knows? However, one day I found him watching a documentary on war stuff that was totally in an Eastern European language and he was all in!!!!!! LOL

    Ace is lucky(?) to be working. I miss a daily grind at times, but then I realize I wouldn't have the stamina to fight that grind!

    Have a fun day and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is such a trip about your DH watching foreign language TV. It really is an awesome experience, imo. When I was in Italy, there was no choice. There was only one English language program aired a day. And I'm sure the Italian helped him with the Spanish programs, I know my Spanish helped me with the Italian ones!

      You and I would pair well as the crazy ladies watching games and not caring who won. That was my son's in-laws watching the Volleyball championships this year. Nebraska was out of competition, and all four of the final four had some player(s) or coach with Nebraska ties.

      I can understand missing the daily grind... NOT! I love my flexibility. Just a couple of weeks shy of five years, now, and fully relaxed into it.

      OMG! I just heard cat noises, and scanned about. The Prisoner had jumped into my recycle container, the middle bin that holds the newsprint. His eyes were glowing out at me, and I laughed while reaching for my camera. Of course, laughing at a cat is a HUGE mistake. He jumped out, and I couldn't get a photo. But regardless of what the younger generations say, it *did* happen!

      Stay warm yourself!

      Delete
  6. Ohhh, the spinach, onion, mushrooms and eggs on top of a yam sounds delicious!

    Well, glad Alicia could help you w/the cookie situation. They look good!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a sense of accomplishment to get temptations out of the house. 😉🎅

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...