Monday, December 26, 2022

Insurance test, then off I went!

 

The brussels sprouts were already in the oven when it dawned on me that according to the Osterholm protocol, I should take a Covid test.  So, I did.  It was, as expected, negative.

I was Grandpa Ken style early, starting in time to deal with potentially bad streets.  Grandpa Ken always used to leave enough time to change a flat tire on the way!

First to arrive, I got out to take pictures of the yard decorations.  Lacey had received a new one for her birthday on the 21st, it's the most darling chicken!


I don't know if Lacey has named her yet, but the hen hasn't yet joined the party of animals roasting marshmallows in the front yard.  She's off guarding the driveway on her own.

I texted the that I was early, but Carl had pre-announced my arrival!  

Before too long, he also announced the other grandparents, and we settled into the first of three noshing sessions... this one called "Pickin's" by the bride-to-be's family.

We settled in to wait for the ham to finish baking and unwrapped a few gifts in the interim.  The reason for starting became clear when the mythical son unwrapped a meat thermometer, which was then put to immediate use.

Dinner (the second noshing) was an overload of ham and cheese, including a classic mac and cheese, which was perfect.  I took no photos, but should have! 

After dinner, we settled in to watch Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol, while waiting for digestion to settle.

And we opened gifts.

There was a theme in the gifts to and from Carl, who gave his hu-mom a hand-warming phone charger to facilitate longer stays at the dog-park.  Carl got a Light Hound vest from his Grandma (me) so he will never get lost in the dark!

Some of the packages, Carl clearly knew what was in them before they were opened, no matter who was unwrapping them and no matter if they were intended for him or not.

Carl kept a close eye whenever the ham was being carved.  He did get his share, of course, but he was always looking for fresh opportunities!


I was allowed "ONE photo mom" of Yukon Cornelius in his new hat! 

For those of you who were wondering what was in the Shop Blind box... there was a warm comforter, which went to Lacey's mom.  There was a tote bag (large) that went to Lacey.  Two "guide dogs" the softest stuffed animals one can imagine, went to her Dad, and one came home with me.  The mythical son got a total of three hats, one of which came in the Shop Blind box.  Again, I neglected to take photos!

Among the favorite gifts given out were a family outing to Robber's Cave sometime in the future (when it gets warmer), and a "donation in your name" to the Food Bank.  Considering how much we had available to eat, VERY appropriate.


For the third noshing session, we have dessert.  Doesn't it look perfect?  It was dismantled around 7 p.m.

While we were noshing, and watching, and unwrapping, and swapping stories, and all that goes with a family holiday, the weather decided to gift us with some sleet.  But the good news is it was still a good deal warmer than it had been.  24℉ when I started to pack up to go home.

I had to scrape my windshield, but the streets were not bad.  The arterials were just fine, the side streets what I would call "winter normal".  I got home before 9 p.m.

Boxing Day morning I put on my new extra warm holiday socks.  Tradition!

I am sending wishes that all of you had good days, a good eighth night if you do Hannukah, Christmas is you do that, Kwanzaa (today) if that's your thing, and mostly whatever you celebrate or don't, that you are balancing your priorities, to give you the best life possible!

Life is good!  Spark on! ðŸŽ„💖✨

14 comments:

  1. Hurray for the negative test! Way to go.

    LOVE the chicken and the animals roasting marshmallows (or chesnuts?) over an open fire. Cute decorations.

    Love it – 3 noshing sessions! Ham and mac’n’cheese A match made in heaven!

    Oh my goodness! I remember Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol . . . been years since I”ve even thought of it!

    Awwwww, that’s a thoughtful gift for Carl . . . the Light Hound vest! I think he felt that ham was meant for him, too!

    Gotta love the sox.

    Happy Boxing Day!

    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual, his hoo-mans were pretty careful about how much and of what Carl was allowed to consume. The last thing one wants is a trip to the emergency vet on a cold winter's night, much less on Christmas!

      Now he can match me in my light-up running vest. There is something magical about night time walks/runs.

      Delete
  2. A negative Covid test is a great Christmas present. Sounds like a festive time that was had by one and all. Have a Happy Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering that three of the five of us just recovered from Covid, I think we were a pretty safe bunch for that day. We've been blessed in the timing of the challenges.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful holiday! We had Christmas eve dinner cooked by SIL1 which included things that never make it to my table (dislikes by my spouse) mashed turnip, which was delicious, sautéed kale and a ham. MMMM! Mashed 'taters for DH. I ate just right, but then backed goods appeared.
    Back to the business of eating right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you love swapping the things you usually make with the things others do, when it's different? I headed straight for Donna's Prizzels, she headed for my oatmeal scotchies! And we all had some of the others' goodies to bring home after, prolonging the festivities.

    But, yes, back to the business, in my case, extending my fast to lunch-time, and having dinner leftovers for breakfast. Awesome. I heated them in the oven, which of course keeps the pipes warm, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems that your festivities were simply perfect, Barb…and Carl enjoyed it equally as much (or more) than the adults. Happy day after …Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was (as usual) a very Carl-centric gathering. Everybody loves him when he's well-behaved. And once he settles down after greeting everyone, he's generally a well-behaved canine!

      Delete
  6. It sounds like a wonderful time with family. Looks like good food surrounded by loved ones. So, glad you had a good Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Yukon Cornelius picture! And it suits really. Looks like a super great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The amazing thing is that I got a straight smile from him. He's been the stick out your tongue, put the bunny ears over the classmate, cross your eyes kind of photo subject since childhood! I think Lacey (who is an avid photographer) has trained him!

      Delete

Going with the flow

  In the corner of the yard, during Ember's "last call" backyard time on Thursday, The Prisoner crouches on the corner of the ...