Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Boxing Day as it was

 Boxing Day

Here we have Boxing Day's breakfast, eaten at lunch time, made up of leftover Christmas dinner.  It was delicious.  

I barely fasted the 16 hours, then kept a very short eating window (for me) starting my next fast at 3:38 p.m.  My "other" meal was chili soup. I still have at least one meal left in that pot I made on the 16th.

I had a treat for my "supper" dessert: a single chocolate covered cherry.  Which brings me to another Christmas day memory... I gave chocolate cherries to the other humans, and Jonathan (the mythical son) got a second box from someone else!  So that family tradition was fulfilled.

The other family tradition candy from my son's childhood is a dark chocolate orange.  I had found one at Target, and it went to their house.  Since I arrived early, and this was classically unwrapped (from Santa for stocking filling), the son immediately ferreted it away, rather than breaking it open for the "pickins".  Later he opened another package and it was a different kind of chocolate orange... I shall have to ask him how he liked that one.  The chocolate cherries are from my childhood.  The chocolate orange from his dad's.  He gets them both!

The only photo I have of any of the contents of the Shop Blind box is of the Guide Dog that came home with me.  I took it today, of "Guider" laid out on my bed.

Extremely soft!  Very tactile.  Guider has her name embossed in her ear in braille, and her paws are weighted.  Pip, the guide dog that went home with Lacey's dad is white, with a blue superhero cape.  Pip is similarly super-soft and has those weighted paws.

After reading Jeanne's blog on National Thank You Card Day, I was inspired to go write a couple, and I took a little walk outside to put them in the neighborhood mailbox.  I'm not sure if the USPS is delivering today or not, so I didn't want to put them in my box with the flag up.  And it felt so much nicer than it's been for a while.  The sun was out.  Yay!




Moving on to Tuesday

I have declare December 27th to be "404 Day", in honor of Kevin, my brother.  404 was the number on the racing bib my brother wore on the last day of his life.  December 27th was his birthday.  He was always a good sport, and running for the toy charity in December, he would wear antlers.


Today, being Tuesday, I went to work out with the trainer.  I always feel better when I do that. 

 The leftovers from Christmas dinner are not done yet.  I chopped the remaining brussels sprouts that had not gone to the Christmas gather and roasted them to go with the mac and cheese and the ham that I had for my "big meal of the day" (lunch time).  

I feel VERY well fed, and there's still another day or two worth of ham in that care package. 

There are enough desserts to last maybe a couple of weeks.  Today I dug to the bottom of this cute little box for a couple of chocolate dipped potato chips and one chocolate peanut cluster as my meal-ender.  I'm saving the pizzelles for a special treat.

Then I started my fast at 2 p.m. with my mug of biocoffee as the last item consumed.  It's how I close my eating window just about every day.


Today Lacey's mom sent me a photo of the comforter that she got from the Shop Blind box atop her couch.  Looks like they picked the right colors for her!


Once again, Life is Good!  Keep on sparkin'!

🔥✨💖

12 comments:

  1. The 2BB gifts look just right. I'm closer to doing that next year. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do it again next year. I have done it twice now, and been very happy with what they picked for the box. Next year, though, I might shop for some specific "guy" things in addition, just to be sure I've got something suitable for Jon and Bob.

      Delete
  2. Your lunch/dinner looks scrumptious!!

    My BB box had a "shades of beige " throw. It will go nicely with the brown recliners. I plan to put it out New Year's Eve. (I have lots of New Year's Eve superstitions handed down from my maternal grandmother. I've done them every year for so many years, that now I'm afraid not to do them.) The guide dog is adorable.

    A nice tribute for your brother. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    Wishing you a sparkling evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you gave 2BB a try, and hope you are as happy with that throw as Lacey was last year with hers. And her mom seems pleased so far with hers. Thanks... I kind of give a nod to my brother in every blog closure, as "Life is good" was how he ended his.

      A Sparkling evening to you, as well!

      Delete
  3. We're still having leftovers from Christmas. We'll be done with it tomorrow. I did freeze half of our cheesecake because it's just too much for us now.

    It's been tears since I had a chocolate covered cherries. My dad loved them and we would always get a couple of boxes for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it interesting how the changes in our families also modify our traditions? I shall think of your dad next time I indulge in a chocolate cherry!

      I have enough leftovers for about two more meals, I'm thinking, if I do as I have been, augmenting them with food I have on hand.

      Delete
  4. I love chocolate covered cherries too but the kind I like is only available at Christmas time in one store. Hubby gets me a box and the great news for me is that there is only 10 in a box so I don't do too much over-doing. Huge hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My box is also a box of 10... so if I savor and make them last, they'll still be gone within a couple of weeks! (( hugs back ))

      Delete
  5. I love roasted Brussels sprouts…nice that you had tasty leftovers…wonderful to have a special meal that all you have to do is “heat and enjoy.” I’m not familiar with the Shop Blind box but it appears to have interesting items and I assume the proceeds go to guide dog care and training? You are so disciplined with your IF…good for you!! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a company called "2 Blind Brothers" and every so often, they challenge you to "shop blind". Shopping blind is trusting them to pick out what they will send you. It's kind of a crazy thought, isn't it? Especially knowing that they are, indeed, blind men.

      Their business is a non-profit in that the profits go into research for curing blindness. I think they might also support the guide dogs, given these critters started to appear in their shop.

      I have now shopped blind twice, once last Christmas, and again this year. I have been happy both times. I will probably do it again next year. When you shop blind, you just pick the dollar amount you will spend, and then the box comes with whatever they have included.

      They also sell merchandise the you get to choose and know what's coming. Things that have sizes, for example.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the explanation…now I know!! Interesting idea! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...