Friday, December 2, 2022

It's Friday!

 

I had to take this photo at sunset last night.  I turned on the tree lights and this window looks West.  You can see the neighbor's nativity lit up across the street... and it just captures the spirit of light and dark that this time of year brings.

I'm sitting in the dark of Friday morning now, with the candles lit, and Christmas music playing  This intermittent fasting thing is starting to feel a lot like my old pre-work routine.  This morning, sipping my first mugga coffee black brought memories of the year in college when I frequented the Student Union and drank their coffee black.  I wonder where the gang I hung out with there and then are now, and what life lessons we all learned?

I messed with some of my blog settings yesterday evening, and this morning one of the comments I got an e-mail about did not appear in the blog itself!  I hope I did not break something.

Have to show off the dinosaur Christmas tree mug.  I gave "the kids" a pair of these last year at Christmas, because my daughter in law to be is a great fan of dinos.  I kept one for my own collection, just because.

Laundry day today.  I interrupted to go fill Dexter's gas tank, before the discount points expired.  Then stopped at the grocery to pick up bananas and blueberries.  They are what I run out of quickest!

We got another "nicest day for a while" in today's weather.  It got up to 60℉, and I took advantage by walking around the neighborhood, checking out the construction down the block.  They were taking advantage, too, putting concrete forms in place.  The construction is on a run-off gully that leads through the park and into the lake.  It caused them to close down the road and divide the neighborhood for over a month now.

Friday morning sunrise was pretty fiery, too.

Here we are to another weekend!  Three weeks to Christmas.  I do have some wrapping to do.  Only one shipment still out there, that has not arrived.  I got an e-mail from the quilt makers that they received the t-shirt sides I sent them.

I need to contact my Christmas day hostess, to make sure just how much sugar she wants brought into her house.  I'm thinking sugar cookies and oatmeal Scotchies (my son's favorite was also my brother's favorite, and I make them for Christmas even if no other time in the year).  I have been requested to make my roasted brussels sprouts and the baked olive filled cheese balls.  Neither of them is sugary.  I know others are bringing sugary treats.  If she wants less, I'll ditch the sugar cookies and just bring the oatmeal Scotchies.

All photos are from prior years!

French vanilla wafers... taste wonderful, but not the best for cutter cookies. 
Too fragile.  Photo from 2019.


The olive filled cheese puffs look like cookies, but are a savory treat!

They are a lot of work and disappear very quickly.  Photo from 2021.



Oatmeal Scotchies, straight from the recipe on the butterscotch chips bag.  Photo from 2021.

Anybody else on the hook to prepare goodies for the holidays?  What are your traditions?

Here's hoping we're all doing our best to live our lives in a way that supports the body feeling well.  Well, happy, and active is what I always wish when I do write Christmas cards.

Life is good.  Keep on Sparking!

🎄🔥💖

11 comments:

  1. That is one spectacular sunrise!
    Roasted brussels sprouts was lunch on Tuesday. They are a favorite.
    The olive filled cheese puffs sound yummy. I've never had them, but I prefer savory to sweet, so doubt I would like them.
    While I'm still not receiving comment notices, I do check the comments selection in setting. I found one of Paula's in spam. ??? Who knows...there's setting that I see that a comment can be marked spam. Maybe that's where your missing comment ended up.
    Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what "spam" you are referencing, here... the Spam folder in your e-mail? Mine is empty. I got Paula's comment in my main inbox on my gmail account. It *does* show up (I discovered later) in the "blogger:comments". But not embedded with the post, if you know what I'm talking about.

      Most comments show up both places. That one was a puzzler.

      I may blog the recipe sometime this month for those cheese puffs. I have modified it since my mom first introduced it (it came out of an electric company holiday cookbook).

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to the recipe for the cheese puffs.

      Delete
  2. WOW! Everything you're talking about making sounds so good.

    Oh no! I hate when I mess with something online or the computer and it doesn't look or work right. I hope it's okay for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just OK, but amazing! You comment seeming to "disappear" yesterday caused me to dig deeper, and working with Speded2Jeanne to solve some of her learning curve led her to let me know that there is a "Spam" list when you go to "comments" in the main blogger screen, instead of embedded at the bottom of the post. I was amazed to find no less than 27 comments in that "spam" list, and yours was the most recent. So I clicked on the check mark to publish it, confirming it's NOT spam, and voila, it's now where I expected it to be!

      Proof once again that one is never too old to "learn something new every day"!

      Delete
  3. None of my family ever got into baking cookies and the like through the years at Christmas so it is not one we do either. No baking just a Christmas Eve meal of my baked beans and buns and then Turkey dinner for just hubby and I. No other family really around so all is quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quiet can be good! It gives one time to reflect on the spiritual meanings of the holiday. I love that your Christmas eve meal is baked beans and buns. We used to have chili and chicken duet soup (a mix of cream of chicken and chicken noodle) on Christmas eve at my mom's house. The cookie baking was for the big social gatherings like the Christmas sing of church folks.

      I might bake some of those cookies to take to neighbors, just to satisfy my own need for tradition.

      Delete
  4. Love the picture of the tree and looking out your window! And that sunrise! Looks like the sky is on fire! Spectacular.

    Cute mug!

    OH the olive filled cheese puffs look wonderful!

    Yes, I am going to make my paternal Grandmother’s Scotch Shortbread, oatmeal cookies, and chocolate chip cookies. May make my paternal Grandmother’s molasses cookies (think ginger snaps) . . . haven’t decided yet. BUT . . . game plan is to send cookies home w/everyone! Will keep some for Jason, but not a lot.

    Happy weekend.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know exactly why I'm so much more in the spirit of Christmas this year, but I am. I've been immersed in schmaltzy movies since before Thanksgiving, and I'm even about to go mail a Christmas card! Shock!

      Delete
    2. Extra spirit may be related to having good times with the future groom & bride plus looking forward to their wedding! Been reading but not commenting as a lot going on in these parts needing my attention. PHOENIX1949

      Delete
    3. You are probably right. The spirit is more exuberant when things are going smoothly. That doesn't mean it isn't there when things are rough (I remember a few years when I discovered it was still there regardless), but it's quieter. Hugs & wishes for just the right appearance of the spirit for your year, to nourish and uphold you as you supply that needed attention!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...