Saturday, December 24, 2022

Christmas Eve Day - Cookie baking day!

 

But first a message from the kitchen sink.  As reported yesterday, I could not get hot water to come forth from this faucet.  All the other faucets in the house, yes, hot water worked just fine.

And cold water worked just fine, even from this one.  But it kept trickling, did not stop.  Got a good suggestion from OJ that at least stopped the audio drip-drip-drip Chinese torture style.  I also followed all the "your pipes could have ice crystals blocking" advice.  Doors to the cupboards below opened, hair dryer applied, etc.

But in the end, I washed dishes by hand, and overnight, the trickle slowed down, and this morning I removed the plastic wrap drainer from it, and I'm NOT going to mess with it!  

OK, that's what I told myself, but I later did check it out.  Cold works better than yesterday.  Hot is still "iffy".  So I really am leaving the "hot" side alone. 

Today is the day to make the Oatmeal Scotchies (son's favorite cookie), and bake the French Vanilla Wafers to be taken to the Christmas gather across town on Sunday (Christmas Day).

I must admit I am getting REALLY confused about what day of the week it is, between the storm, the holiday, and of course, being retired!

Picture story of the oatmeal scotchies

Old fashioned oats


Butter, one stick lightly salted, one unsalted

Flour, soda, salt and cinnamon


And the star of the endeavor

Sugars, brown and white

Of course there are also two large eggs, vanilla and the zest of an orange, but the pictured ingredients, I measured out ahead while I waited for that butter to soften.  I covered them with plastic wrap against the curiosity of cats, who for some reason don't want to go outside today (after their experiences the past couple of days).

Cream butter, eggs, sugars, vanilla, orange
zest

Add flour mixture,
then oats and chips

Drop by tablespoons.
Bake at 375 for 9 minutes

Cool on rack

Frosty will "eat" the rejects

Leaving the good ones to go to Son's house

I took a break at that point for breakfast and to wash dishes (still washing by hand).  After breakfast, I sliced and baked the vanilla wafers.  The dough had been in the freezer and then thawing in the fridge for two days.

French Vanilla Wafers


As with the oatmeal scotchies,
Frosty gets the excess

OK, I've done enough... and nibbled enough, too!  Tomorrow we bake the cheese puffs (also retrieved from the freezer) and broil the brussels sprouts before heading over for Christmas Dinner. 

Saturday was a virtual heat wave compared to Thursday and Friday.  It got up to 14 above, F, and the wind chill was only minus 1 F.  I started up Dexter, just to make sure he's ready to tomorrow's outing, and we even meandered over the the grocery store, because I was out of, you guessed it, bananas and blueberries. 

Here's wishing all a fine Christmas Eve, doing what means most to YOU this year.  It's been a rough weather holiday week, after two Covid-heavy Christmases.  It's important to cherish and nurture that inner light of Christmas, every year, but especially in the "tough" ones.  I am thankful that it looks as though we'll have an in-person gather, because the path of the storm hit us earlier than it is doing the East Coast.

Life is good.  Spark on!

🎄𝄞♩♪𝅘𝅥𝅘𝅥𝅮𝅘𝅥𝅰𝆔👼✨💖

8 comments:

  1. Everything looks yummy! Are you using a different location to wash dishes or carrying hot water from a different location to the kitchen sink?

    The air temperature and wind chill here are both several degrees above zero. The horrible wind has stopped. Those are all a plus. Tomorrow, the air temp is supposed to be above the freezing point. But...it's also supposed to be cloudy for most of the day. It will probably be a struggle. All these wonderful gifts from Mother Nature.

    Merry Christmas Eve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stove is right next to that sink, so I'm boiling the water in the tea kettle and pouring it into a plastic dish tub in the sink. The cold water runs fine from the tap today, so I'm actually using it to fill the kettle. Yesterday I went down the little hallway to another sink to fill the kettle, and was allowing the tub to catch what was then the dripping cold water from the faucet. It's an adventure!

      We won't get above freezing tomorrow, but we'll be ten degrees warmer than today. And today felt wonderful in comparison to yesterday. As you said, all these gifts!

      Now off to online church! Merry Christmas, for unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given!

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas Eve!
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas!
    I love your step by step instruction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking is so different when you stop to take photos at every step! LOL.

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas my blogger/spark friend! Huge hugs and Christmas Sparkles! - Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and yours, too, to the extra Alicia in my life besides my sister! Hugs & Sparkles!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...